A memorable obituary

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Michael Ferrier

A memorable obituary

Post by Michael Ferrier »

Today's Times had an obituary of Major-General David Pank who died recently. Amongst a full account of his life there was the following lovely anecdote (which would date to the late fifties/early sixties) :

'While a young officer with 1st Battalion the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry in Germany, he was responsible for buying the wine for the officers’ mess. He sought the advice of his father, who had been in the wine business, and laid down 20 dozen bottles of Tuke Holdsworth 1948. Three years later, when the battalion was leaving Germany, he sold the further matured four dozen bottles remaining to a neighbouring cavalry regiment for the same price as he had paid for the entire original consignment, neatly covering the costs of three years of port consumption. '

I would be very happy to be remembered by such an anecdote. Anybody ever had Tuke Holdsworth 1948 ?
Mike Meehan

Re: A memorable obituary

Post by Mike Meehan »

Michael Ferrier wrote:I would be very happy to be remembered by such an anecdote. Anybody ever had Tuke Holdsworth 1948 ?
I have a bottle of the 1947 waiting for a suitable occasion, never had the 1948.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: A memorable obituary

Post by Roy Hersh »

I was surprised and fortunate that a friend opened a 1948 Tuke at a dinner I attended in Copenhagen, DK. Far better than I had ever expected, especially since I did not know this Port existed. A real treat that was in excellent condition and showed really well.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com