TN: Egon Müller Scharzhof (Qualitätswein) Riesling 2015

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

TN: Egon Müller Scharzhof (Qualitätswein) Riesling 2015

Post by John Trombley »

9/8/2017 rated 90 points: AP 01-16; Frederick Wildman, $43/750 ml; Village Corner in Ann Arbor. 9.5 percent and probably meant to be Halbtrocken, approximately, or less. Straw on the lightish side, not at all spritzing. Spontaneous yeastiness, seemingly lees-exposed and a product of reductive wine-making. Tobacco leading into redcurrant and hay notes evident from the Coravined bottle, about 5 days in and originally opened at a Riesling tasting with Sean O'Keefe at Mari Vineyards on the Old Mission Peninsula, Michigan. Overall nose is still quite closed. Brisk to firm '15 acids, closed, dense, with white peach and full mouth-feel and some considerable way to go in the cellar to resolve the acidity and lime-zest notes, if that is to happen. Juicy, energetic, vibrant, and dry-side finish and some skin tang there too, but there's a suggestion of combined clarity and finesse to come. 89-91 RPP/100 with some upside. Drink 2019-2025 or onward. Drink well chilled if you're not going to await maturity. 2020-2030. Actually worth the tariff if you like the style, which has not been always true of earlier examples in the series.
Last edited by John Trombley on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Ifune

Re: TN: Egon Mülller Scharzhof (Qualitätswein) Riesling 2015

Post by Eric Ifune »

$43 for a Qba! It must've been pretty good for that price.
John Trombley

Re: TN: Egon Müller Scharzhof (Qualitätswein) Riesling 2015

Post by John Trombley »

You probably know, Sir, that the regular commercial non-auction Kabinett of current release these days is about Euros 125. And yes, it is that good, all things being equal, but cellar it some, please! A waste to open it now, but I JUST HAD to take one for the team!

jht
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I did not know prices were that high. I guess I need to hoard my remaining Egon Muller!
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Eric Ifune wrote:I did not know prices were that high. I guess I need to hoard my remaining Egon Muller!
Please, please, no hoarding of Scharzhof wines while I'm around!