2017 Vintage Port Forecast

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Which option would you rather see (as a subscriber)

a. Brief impression done like the vast majority of others, sighted, one impression and brief note ... report released in late July.
4%
b. More in-depth report and TNs, done blind, 2x/day over 3-4 days, groups of 15 or so; with report released in October newsletter.
96%

Total votes: 25

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2017 Vintage Port Forecast

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am heading to Portugal for the Five Regions Tour and staying through early July.

During the 2nd week, I will receive the 2017 Vintage Ports. I will spend nearly 3 weeks evaluating around 50-60+ Ports.

I'd like your thoughts on methodology and release points, please. Unfortunately, due to having to include two other articles in the July issue, the options below are likely not going to change.

I've noticed so many early reports this year, but have read none as of yet ... for me, the ones from April and to a lesser extent May, are typically just done at major events or very short 5-10 minutes assessments, (if that long) sighted typically and a sentence or two and a score. I guarantee if those same individuals tasted the same wines a month or two later and did so blind, there would be WAY different outcomes.

I have done a LOT of the May tastings (with SFE and in more recent years, TFP and Noval/Romaneira included) here in the USA over the years, (not this year, as I was in PT) and when I compare my notes and scores with my more in-depth tastings, often there is a significant difference ... as the Ports change pretty dramatically at such early stages.

So here is a poll and I'd appreciate your candor with commentary and votes.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Claus P

Re: 2017 Vintage Port Forecast

Post by Claus P »

option B, and it's not even close :winebath:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I voted for B as well. It seems that everyone else does A, so even though it means your review takes longer to complete it gives a different perspective that I feel is needed.
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Can we have an option to vote for A + B?

Early impressions are inevitable. Waiting until October risks having nothing left to buy. I think on this subject more is more - many people are not lucky enough to be able to access samples of these newly released VPs. We should do all we can to help potential buyers select what to buy while they are able to do so.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

If it’s an either / or vote, I’d vote for B. Lots of other people do A so I have plenty of guidance and opinion from other people when I make my buying decisions. It’s interesting reading in-depth thoughts after I’ve made my purchases - but this is as much because I love reading about Port as for any other reason.

Others may be able to make purchases later in the year, but in the UK we have to get firm orders into our favoured merchants by the end of June. A review issued after the end of June is great to read, but won’t be able to affect what I order from the main houses.

Where it could have value is if one of the independent producers has hit a home run and deserves to be included in a Port-lover’s cellar - provided I haven’t spent all my money already!
Last edited by Al B. on Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I voted for B.
The alternative A is too shallow.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Lots of salient points and they are greatly appreciated. The Port trades’ support was overwhelming and some new entries came through that I was not counting on. By Sunday when I finish my Porto sessions, about 63 in all will have been reviewed.

I will bring a couple of dozen bottles back to the USA, for comprehensive on-going tastings this summer in much more manageable flight sizes, to provide even greater depth to my notes.

The next newsletter will be released late July as promised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In total, I had the good fortune to taste 63 unique bottlings. Two other producer's 2017's that I will taste when final approvals go through the IVDP, will be part of the review, so at most there should be 65 in comparison to last year's 2016 total of 62. If I had even more time in PT, I likely could have picked up another 10 or so, but I think I reached my goal of five dozen or more to give a very comprehensive overview.

2017 is quite different than 2016, to say the least and also quite singular in comparison to 2015 as well. More depth to that statement when my 2017 Vintage Port Report comes out in October. For those who want an earlier read, go and have a look at the article that Mark Squires just released on 2017's. I am sure we have very different takes on some of these Ports, but that is to be expected.

Then again, I have seen other colleagues/friends from the UK's wine press corps that released their reports on the 2017's as early as April and May. I can not read these before writing my own report, and I will stick to my very different methodology, which I've used since the first half of the 1990's and I am proud of, even though many feel I should release my reports a lot earlier than I do. Like I said, if you need early impressions, there are many journalists that review Port that have already launched their articles.

I was very picky about which 2nd bottles I brought back to retry in the same way, between a month or two later. These were all "final blend" samples and I made it back here with several cases, thanks to my daughter carrying over some empty suitcases for me. I had a few "first bottles" which were corked, more than any other year except for 2007. I had 2nd bottles of those Ports included in my last flight before departure this year. My only comment at this point in time, is that the vast majority of those who chose to declare 2017, picked a good year to do so, regardless of the back-to-back controversial nature of this historic vintage.
Paul C. Metman

Post by Paul C. Metman »

Roy Hersh wrote:... For those who want an earlier read, go and have a look at the article that Mark Squires just released on 2017's.
Hi Roy, would it be possible to give a link to that article?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

For subscriber's only, Paul, of The Wine Advocate. Are you a subscriber?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Paul C. Metman wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:... For those who want an earlier read, go and have a look at the article that Mark Squires just released on 2017's.
Hi Roy, would it be possible to give a link to that article?
Paul
I can tell you Mark S at Wine Advocate gave Nacional 100 points. Niepoort got 99-100.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul C. Metman

Post by Paul C. Metman »

Alas, I'm not a subscriber! Thanks Roy, thanks Andy!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Paul,
Wine & Soul's Pintas VP got 97-99 from Wine Advocate (Mark Squires). I think this is the highest score they've ever gotten from WA for their VP.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Paul,
Wine & Soul's Pintas VP got 97-99 from Wine Advocate (Mark Squires). I think this is the highest score they've ever gotten from WA for their VP.
In my opinion, it is an excellent Port. It's got a balance and elegance that made it stand out from many others.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Al B. wrote:
In my opinion, it is an excellent Port. It's got a balance and elegance that made it stand out from many others.
Is it a Port that can be drunk while it's young or is it better off waiting? I ask because I'm now in my early 60's and it seems almost silly to buy any 2017 Ports if they need 20 or 25 years to properly enjoy. It's a great vintage from all that I've read, but will they be wasted on me?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:
Is it a Port that can be drunk while it's young or is it better off waiting? I ask because I'm now in my early 60's and it seems almost silly to buy any 2017 Ports if they need 20 or 25 years to properly enjoy. It's a great vintage from all that I've read, but will they be wasted on me?
I don't have any issues drinking young VP. I think they go well with certain fattier or richer types of foods, like pizza and steak. And sometimes I just want to enjoy a younger VP over several days. So I don't think you could ever go wrong buying them and enjoying them young.

Here's my rant or really my :soapbox: Lots of people say drinking young top wines is wrong and you should always lay down those wines to drink in their older age. I think this is complete hogwash. Don't let anyone tell you to wait to enjoy a wine. It's a well established fact that as we age our taste buds get duller and we tend to want more fruit forward wines to compensate. Young VP surely fits that bill to a tee. I say buy some young VP's and enjoy them now and over the coming years you have left. I don't think they would be wasted on you.
Paul C. Metman

Post by Paul C. Metman »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Mike J. W. wrote:
I don't have any issues drinking young VP. I think they go well with certain fattier or richer types of foods, like pizza and steak. And sometimes I just want to enjoy a younger VP over several days. So I don't think you could ever go wrong buying them and enjoying them young.

Here's my rant or really my :soapbox: Lots of people say drinking young top wines is wrong and you should always lay down those wines to drink in their older age. I think this is complete hogwash. Don't let anyone tell you to wait to enjoy a wine. It's a well established fact that as we age our taste buds get duller and we tend to want more fruit forward wines to compensate. Young VP surely fits that bill to a tee. I say buy some young VP's and enjoy them now and over the coming years you have left. I don't think they would be wasted on you.
Couldn't agree more Andy!! Since yesterday I'm 77 and I ordered some (not too much ofcourse, but including Pintas VP'17) bottles of 2017 VP and so did I with 2016 and 2015VP. Maybe I'm very, very lucky and drink them at the age of 20, but I don't count on that and enjoy them when they are young and fruity! Cheers!!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Mike J. W. wrote:
Al B. wrote:
I'm with Andy and Paul. I always buy some of the latest release for drinking over the next year or two. I love very young Vintage Port for the mass of fruit it presents, especially chilled. Yes, OK, they may be sublime and amazing wines in 50 years, but I won't be around to enjoy them so I'd rather enjoy some of them right now. Niepoort 2017 is one of those wines which is amazing today and (I'm guessing) will be stunning in 50 years. So is Warre, and Skeffington and of the smaller producers I've tasted I would single out Pintas and Bulas and being such a joy to drink.

I've decided I'm a sucker for the Bulas style of Port. They are made the "old-fashioned" way with lots of extraction, lots of tannin and are big, loud and proud Vintage Ports.
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

I want to buy two cases of the 2017 vintage for ageing them properly, but i can't make a choice yet.
I've already bought like a case of Quinta do Noval 2017, but i don't know what to buy for the second case.
Is there some particular house you recommend me to buy also? I didn't taste all of them yet.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bram C wrote:I want to buy two cases of the 2017 vintage for ageing them properly, but i can't make a choice yet.
I've already bought like a case of Quinta do Noval 2017, but i don't know what to buy for the second case.
Is there some particular house you recommend me to buy also? I didn't taste all of them yet.
Tough choices as there are some really good ones. From what I've tasted you wouldn't go wrong with any of these (in no particular order);
Taylor's, Graham's, Dow, Warre's, Fonseca, Stone Terrace.