Fonseca Moscatel Roxo 20 Bottlings

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike K.

Fonseca Moscatel Roxo 20 Bottlings

Post by Mike K. »

J.M. Fonseca 20yo Roxo is a stunning pour. No debate. I have a couple bottles of the current bottling, great stuff.

The last time I was in the Garrafeira Nacional I noticed that they have some older bottles, bottled in 83, 87, and 89. Not knowing what I was looking at, I passed at the time and found the current bottling.

What’s the story on these older bottles? Are they any better? Different? How so?

Thx, Mike
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Fonseca Moscatel Roxo 20 Bottlings

Post by Andy Velebil »

I still have probably 4-5 bottles of this that were most likely bottled 15+ years ago. Last one I opened, a long time ago, was killer. Would be interested to hear others answers to Mike's questions.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've had some JM Fonseca 25 year old Moscatel de Setubal. No longer made, these bottles were probably 30-40 years old. They were good, but lacked freshness. Probably better 20 years ago.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

That’s a good point Eric. I was initially wondering if the wine used in the ‘20’ was any older years ago. But even if it was the freshness might suffer.