Thoughts? 1987 Taylor Vintage Port Quinta de Vargellas

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rico Thompson

Thoughts? 1987 Taylor Vintage Port Quinta de Vargellas

Post by Rico Thompson »

Any thoughts, impressions or tasting notes? Early drinker or still in need of cellaring?
rico thompson
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

I've had it a few times, and was always impressed (save one corked example). My most detailed TN is from August 2004 (tasted side-by-side with the Ferreira '87):

Taylor 1987 Q.d. Vargellas VP. Bought the day of the tasting and double decanted in the store I bought it from 3 hours before tasting it non-blind (for me, the Roots only knew it was a ’87 and not the Guimaraens or Kopke).
Much darker than the Ferreira. Very dark, almost black, with only a bit of pink on the thin rim showing its age.
Powerful nose, extremely rich and floral (like hiking through a field of sweet honey clover on a summer day). Meaty as well, and some red cherry in the background.
Not thick bodied, but close enough. Amazing concentration and youthfulness. Ripe dark fruit is quickly replaced with liquorice and even a hint of peppermint. The midpalate shows a distinct touch of exotic spice.
Does this finish end? It’s fresh, with superb chocolate, lavender, red fruit flavours and loads of grip.
What a STUNNING Port! It is approachable now for sure, but will repay additional cellaring (it is still showing mostly primary fruit flavours). There is just a little bit left in this bottle: I’m looking forward to tasting it tomorrow! For now I’d give this Port 93 points, with room for improvement. I’ll be getting myself more of it: highly recommended!
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Rico, this is a very good port, that could still do with some cellaring. Belongs to the top of the vintage and IMO better than 1985 Taylor.
NickA

Post by NickA »

I thought this matched the '91 (95/100 RP which to me is on the high side, although compared to the 100/100 '92...maybe not so!) side by side, but was more complex and drinkable - and likewise - found more pleasure in this than the '85. It's great now, but will surely last a good time yet.

Any idea if the Fonseca '87 is as good? - that's just come up locally...
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Nick, I found the Guimaraens 87 very nice, but not as good as the Vargellas. But still, a very good port to drink now.
Rico Thompson

Post by Rico Thompson »

Greatly appreciate the feedback! Sounds like it certainly out performed the vintage! I grabbed 4 bottles and will lay them down for a while.
rico thompson