What Is The Lowest Scoring Port In Your Cellar?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

What Is The Lowest Scoring Port In Your Cellar?

Post by Andy Velebil »

We all love to talk about the great scoring things out there. But lets face it, we all have that one bottle that just doesn't score so well. It can be a professional raters score or something like a Cellartracker community score. It can be any type of Port.

So, what is your lowest scoring Port in your cellar?

Mine is a 1984 Hoopers VP. Cellartracker community score of 81.5 Points :shock:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Janet Ainsworth

Re: What Is The Lowest Scoring Port In Your Cellar?

Post by Janet Ainsworth »

I just might have you beaten. 1980 Tuke Holdsworth VP. I can't find a score online, but it was ghastly the last time we dared try it. And we still have two more to go. [kez_11.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Janet Ainsworth wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:12 am I just might have you beaten. 1980 Tuke Holdsworth VP. I can't find a score online, but it was ghastly the last time we dared try it. And we still have two more to go. [kez_11.gif]
Pretty sure you've got me beat on that one. LOL.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Lowest scoring by professional/critics I don't know, but I do know my own lowest-scoring port which was not faulty that I have tasted, and I have two more of in my cellar, and that would be Cruz 1989 vintage port. I purchased three bottles in a french supermarket several years ago at around 12 euros each. I had hoped it was a bargain; it was not. I didn't have high expectations given the year, and they weren't met. To be fair, after 48hrs it did become drinkable; my tasting note:

Tasting Note
0h post-decent : Very harsh, cherries, cough mixture and very very hot
12h post-decant : about the same, didn't want to drink it at this point
36h post-decant : integrated slightly, still too hot, cough mixture waning, quite dry, still didn't want to drink it...
48h post-decant : reasonably integrated now; drinkable and tastes like a medium to good quality LBV, cherries, very dry, slightly smoother than most LBV now the alcohol has integrated, but slightly odd aftertaste.

Funnily enough I've never got round to opening the second bottle, let alone the third.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

Burmester 2003 vintage.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I know there is an '85 Hoopers VP somewhere in my cellar. Can't seem to find it. That has to be the worst unless if I can find an '85 Porto Morgado VP which would be cruel horizontal. Elevate it with an '85 Calem & Croft and that is some port tasting!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

85 Borges VP. I purchased a case for a song, thinking 'how bad could it be?' The answer? Consistently grim. I eventually came to the conclusion that the entire case had been cooked. Building upon my initial error of judgement, I went out and bought another bottle in order to test the 'cooked' theory and ... well, what I bought in the first instance would appear to conform to the prevailing quality standard. The various Messias Cachao which I have in the cellar have proved to be highly-uneven in quality, and frequently poor. The same can be said of the Quinta do Castelinho VPs, which I have at least shown the good sense not to stock.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

We now know what 1985's not to put into a tasting! Keep em coming folks.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

1988 Taylor Vargellas. Maybe it will be better in 20 years, so I am holding onto it. :lol:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I also have a 1980 Tuke Holdsworth.

I still have one or two 1970 Royal Oporto but I think those were damaged. I've consistently rated bottles from this purchase of 8 at about 83 points.

One of the first VPs that I ever purchased is still in my cellar, and I don't have high expectations. It's a 1977 Royal Oporto.

Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

FOR SALE: 8 bottles of Real Vinicola 1983 - tastes like vomit - free to a good home
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:FOR SALE: 8 bottles of Real Vinicola 1983 - tastes like vomit - free to a good home
Perhaps you should work on your sales pitch.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've got some Vargellas 1958 and 1961 in the cellar, both of which have been given scores of less than 70. I'm not sure what the source(s) of the scores were; it could have been my previous experience or it could have come from a book (like Suckling) or a magazine or website.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I have two '60 Hooper's VP in my cellar. I had "won" 3 at an auction for a very cheap price and now I know why. No bueno.

Reading through this thread I also realize I have an '85 Real Vinicola. I bought 2 of them very cheaply, and again, I quickly learned why.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1985 Quinta do Noval VP. Score aside, it is just fair at best and imo, the Souza 1985 is even better.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jasper May

Post by Jasper May »

I am the proud possessor of a bottle of Offley 1972, which I inherited from a great aunt. I am still trying to work out what I did to offend her... :D
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jasper May wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:09 am I am the proud possessor of a bottle of Offley 1972, which I inherited from a great aunt. I am still trying to work out what I did to offend her... :D
:lol: I have tried that once. Just once. I hope never to repeat.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Jasper May wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:09 am I am the proud possessor of a bottle of Offley 1972
Is it even proper to say "I think we have a winner" in this circumstance? ;-)
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Roy Hersh wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:00 pm 1985 Quinta do Noval VP. Score aside, it is just fair at best and imo, the Souza 1985 is even better.
Hey--don't insult the Souza!! I like my Souza's a lot. Not great but very serviceable.
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Toss up between the 31 Noval and 31 Noval Nacional....

My cellar is small and I really don't have anything known to be "bad"....so maybe it my Souza's after all (Sorry Roy). I have had a fair number of "science experiments"..a.k.a. the odd bottle of Port stuck in someones cabinet for decades and they give to me. Examples include 1955 Harvey's Gold Cap, Corgo Ruby, and Hooper's Lord Mayor LBV...all were truly awful but remain undeterred. But right now, just good stuff.
Any Port in a storm!