TN: 2000 Quinta do Carmo

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

TN: 2000 Quinta do Carmo

Post by Frederick Blais »

A wine from the Alentejano region produced in a join venture with Baron Rothschild. The nose is very expressive on red berry like rasberry, wood show with grilled bread flavors and also some tar. The mouth is lovely and balanced on the red berry flavours supported by good acidity to hold everything togheter, tannins are fully integrated. On the finale, some toasted notes add to the aciditic fruits. Very good, my last bottle :( . 16/20
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
jfgmmg

Re: Quinta do Carmo 2000

Post by jfgmmg »

Fred_Quebec wrote:A wine from the Alentejano region produced in a join venture with Baron Rothschild. The nose is very expressive on red berry like rasberry, wood show with grilled bread flavors and also some tar. The mouth is lovely and balanced on the red berry flavours supported by good acidity to hold everything togheter, tannins are fully integrated. On the finale, some toasted notes add to the aciditic fruits. Very good, my last bottle :( . 16/20
I just ordered the Quinta do Carmo Reserva 2002. Anxiously waiting for it...(never tried it, though).
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Well... if it has more of everything and balanced as this one, it will be a great wine. This one was defenitively the best red wine I had south of the Douro in Portugal. Too many are just too oaky or extrated and new world fashion. If you open one, don't hesitate to post your tasting notes. I saw many times the reserve when I was in Portugal but resisted to buy one as I was not certain it would worth the 40-60 euros they were asking for.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
jfgmmg

Post by jfgmmg »

Fred_Quebec wrote:Well... if it has more of everything and balanced as this one, it will be a great wine. This one was defenitively the best red wine I had south of the Douro in Portugal. Too many are just too oaky or extrated and new world fashion. If you open one, don't hesitate to post your tasting notes. I saw many times the reserve when I was in Portugal but resisted to buy one as I was not certain it would worth the 40-60 euros they were asking for.
By mistake I ordered the Quinta do Carmo Reserva 2001 instead. Nevertheless, this wine is quite good.

Initially not very fruit forward, showing some olive flavors. If you let it breathe, it will eventually go away. Then it showed a complex array of flavors that I wasn't able to identify. Full bodied, with soft but very present tannins. Medium finish. Lacks a little more acidity and freshness. I enjoyed it a lot, but for those 40-60€ I would prefer other wines from Alentejo (btw, I payed $41).

I've been told that the Quinta do Carmo Reserva 2002 represents a step forward in this wine, so next time I'll try not screw up...
João Galamba