Best of ready to drink SQVPs

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Robert O.

Best of ready to drink SQVPs

Post by Robert O. »

I have been collecting vintage port for about a year now. During this first year, I have concentrated on trying a wide variety of ports to see what I liked, at what age I like them, etc. Now, I find myself spending more and more of my money on ports I really like but that won't be ready to drink anytime soon.

Which leaves me short on ports I can drink "today", and I find that these days, with the cold weather moving in, "today" is a bottle a week. And while I like LBV's, I have a hard time getting them.

After reading Roy's 2005 forecast, it is obvious to me that SQVPs on non-declared years are the answer. What are the best SQVPs out there that are ready to drink?
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Ready to drink or enjoyable while young? From my taste, I haven't found any young VP not enjoyable to taste. 1-2 years after the release is probably the best time to taste time before they shut down.

Just like Roy, I do think Vesuvio 05 is a stunner at the moment. I think I did enjoy more the Qta Roriz and Niepoort than he did but none the less, nice bottles to drink at the moment.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
John B

Post by John B »

Robert,

I'm really no expert whatsoever but if you are looking for VP to drink now it strikes me that SQVP is not your only option.

Perhaps you could look at some VP's from the 1980's (the best I have tasted being the Grahams 1985), or if you want to spend more you can extend back into the 1970's or even beyond.

Of course, if you have a particular love of young port this suggestion will be useless, but if not might be worth investigating.

Hopefully of use,

John
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Robert,

The answer to this question really depends on what is available to you in your area. Can you give us an idea of prices of 10-20 year old vintages of various SQVP's that you could buy today?

Derek
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

Thanks all for your replies. Cost is a consideration in all of this and the reason why I am specifically looking at SQVPs is that the prices will be better. I do purchase ready to drink ports from the 70s and 80s but can't really afford to make these my staples. Ideally, I would be looking for youngish SQVPs that can be enjoyed today in the $35-$50 a bottle range.

To answer your question Derrick, nothing is really available in my area. I buy almost exclusively off the internet.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Robert,

I would venture that for US based Port collectors, the vast majority of Port comes from retailers in CA where pricing regualtions are set up very differently, providing them with a distinct advantage.

Without getting off on that tangent though, I think that your mission to drink in the $35-50 range is sound when looking for youngish VPs. Look, you don't HAVE to drink them young and they will age, most not as long as the "classics" but hey, as I wrote in the article ... don't you want to have stuff to drink at 10-20 years of age, instead of having to wait 30-40 years for the great ones to come around.

Sure there are UNFILTERED LBVs that provide a particularly good whack for the buck, but some of the young 2004 and 2005 SQVPs are a significant step up from LBVs and yes they are also more pricey but not at the level we'll pay for most 2000 and 2003s (which CAN occasionally be found at bargains too). So look to some of the quality resources in CA and get on their mailing lists. If you send me an email, I'd be happy to provide a half dozen names and phone numbers of very reliable Port purveyors.

There is a big difference in the UK vs US in this way. In the UK, there are usually local shops with very fine stocks and then there are places like Tesco et al that have great prices on a broad range of Port. Here in the USA, our local wine shops are typically very poor in their knowledge of Port as well as the selection. So buying over the internet has become an enormous advantage for us across the country. Obviously NY has some great retailers and others on either coast too. But in the middle of the country, it is usually a waste land for Port. Have you checked out Brown Derby which is a bit closer to you than most of the other large internet companies? Again, I'd be happy to share some CA retail sources with you, if you are looking for a bunch.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

For SQVP, 1995's are great value and will drink well now and for another 10-15 years. In no particular order, I have had (and enjoyed) these:

Taylor Vargellas (my favorite)
Quinta do Vesuvio
Quinta do Noval
Smith Woodhouse Madalena
Graham Malvedos

I think you'd be able to get them for around 50$ if you shop around a little...

Steve
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I agree that '95 VP's and SQVPs might be your best bet for the optimum mix of age and price. Some suggestions that I have enjoyed:

Quinta do Crasto
Quinta do Vesuvio
Croft's Quinta do Roeda
Grahams Malvedos (even nicer in 1996)

The Crasto and Roeda are drinkable now, even for those who do not enjoy young ports. None are closed down. All should be <$50 US (and isn't that a steal in this devalued dollar economy).

Jay
David C.
Location: Marlboro, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by David C. »

Also, keep in mind one of the quirks of Port as opposed to other wines. Prices for Ports tend to be higher in winter than in summer in some stores as they move less slowly off the shelves in summer and are often discounted.
That may enable you to pick up some Ports at better pricing from a local store.