Portugal Invades Bordeaux

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Stewart T.

Portugal Invades Bordeaux

Post by Stewart T. »

Touriga Nacional approved by INAO

“The Institut National de l’Origine et de la Qualité (INAO) has formally approved the use of six new varieties in Bordeaux that were first proposed in 2019.

The French agricultural governing body has approved the use of four new red varieties – Arinarnoa, Castets, Marselan and Touriga Nacional – and two white varieties – Alvarinho and Liliorila – with plantings authorised for this year.”

https://magazine.thedrinksbusiness.com/ ... ntent.html
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Lindsay E.

Re: Portugal Invades Bordeaux

Post by Lindsay E. »

I've already tried Marselan (a crossing of Grenache and Malbec) from the Southern Rhone and liked the result. I would very much like to try a Marselan from Bordeaux and a Touriga Nacioinal from Bordeaux.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Sacré bleu! At least I thought that for a moment, wondering how/why the French would allow such a thing. Then I read the article that Stewart linked:
... a potential means of dealing with different growth cycles and ripening periods in the face of a changing climate.
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Yes, I read the same thing about the rational….and it makes sense. Adapt or die. We already know touriga’s potential to produce results that captivate both old world and new world palates in a warm climate. It will be interesting to see how touriga holds up in cooler vintages that may be ahead in Bordeaux.