2003 VP Prices

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David C.
Location: Marlboro, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

2003 VP Prices

Post by David C. »

Article in Wednesday's NY Times about increases in European wines due to the strong Euro has prompted me to do some quick buying. The increases will show up in the next couple of months and may run between 10 and 30 percent.
Can I get some guidance on these prices available to me for some of the 2003 VP's I think are worth collecting?

Quinta do Portal 60
Croft 78
Dow 77
Fonseca 100
Niepoort 90
Quinta do Noval 94

Happy Holidays!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've already seen some of the current import wines go up a little (excluding Bordeaux) the past couple months. But for port, or any wine for that matter, I don't see a reason to go into a buying frenzy, especially for 2003 VPs. Which have been in market for a couple years now. I've been able to get very good deals on the 2000 and 2003 VPs recently.

Speaking from my limited knowledge of other non-port dry wine drinkers, buying port is more of an after thought when they've bought all the dry wines they wanted. they may pick up a few bottles of the top name VP's because that is what they recognize. But that leaves a whole lot of stuff for die-hard port drinkers to go after.

And not wanting to get political here, but the economy in the US isn't exactly on fire right now. So i think there will be some discounting of the stuff already in market come summer if the economy keeps taking a header. now this is just my dumb laymans opinion...and i may very well be wrong.

As for the prices you posted, you should be able to find those at cheaper prices if you shop around at various stores around the country and just have them shipped to you.

just my :twocents:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com