A note on my notes, FitaPreta in particular

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

A note on my notes, FitaPreta in particular

Post by Eric Menchen »

If you look at all my FitaPreta tasting notes, you'll see that the subject ends with something like "(Chão dos Eremitas)". At FitaPreta, they have three different wine families, Clássica, Signature Series, and Chão dos Eremitas. The Clássica are the classic style wines. The Signature Series are more unique creations unlike those historically produced in the region. A Laranja Mecânica is a great example of this, in which after the first pressing, the grapes are macerated seven days and then pressed again to extract the concentrated juice. Chão dos Eremitas literally translates as the floor of the hermits. However, as an ancient term, chão meant a flat area. Chão dos Eremitas refers to a relatively flat vineyard area that once belonged to monks of the order of São Paulo, at the southern foothills of the Serra d’Ossa. Wines of this family come from that area.

More generally, in my notebook and in the tasting notes I post, I pretty much always list the producer first in the subject. Then I follow that with things that appear on the label. If something doesn't appear on the label, but is part of the wine character or brand, I often put it in parenthesis afterward. So if a wine says "Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon" on the label, that will appear in the first part of the subject. But if that isn't on the front label, but I know the wine comes from the Napa Valley and is made entirely of (or legally enough to qualify) Cabernet Sauvignon, I'll often put that in parenthesis.
fitapreta.jpg
fitapreta.jpg (215.86 KiB) Viewed 397 times
(Reload this page if the image doesn't appear the first time. That worked for me to make it display.)