Some Quick Tastes of 2005 and an LBV

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David C.
Location: Marlboro, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Some Quick Tastes of 2005 and an LBV

Post by David C. »

Local store was pouring two of the 2005 SQVP's with Robert Bauer, a representative from Fladgate. Right from the bottle with no decanting.
Fonseca Quinta do Panascal was very dark with sweet fruit and ample grip. Rather approachable at this early stage.
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas was closed and tight and yielding little.
The representative from Fladgate said the 2 Ports never evolve on the same path. When compared side by side they will always seem to be in different stages until they reach maturity.

Also had a glass of Smith Woodhouse LBV 1992 after dinner that night. Very one dimensional with little more than simple fruit.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Robert Bower, although a "family member" of The Fladgate Partnership, actually is currently employed by the USA importer Kobrand Inc. and reps the Ports for the importer.
The representative from Fladgate said the 2 Ports never evolve on the same path. When compared side by side they will always seem to be in different stages until they reach maturity.
Last Thursday when moderating a single blind tasting of 7 vintages of Taylor vs. Fonseca, I gave my own opinion of the stylistic differences between the two. I don't disagree with Robert's comments although i am not sure if he was speaking in general terms or about the SQVPs in particular.

As I have mentioned on the Forum in a few different posts now, the 2005 Vargellas needs a lot of air time and was a no show upon opening, good upon 24 hours of being open and seriously very good after 48 hours. This shows how the wine will evolve too. I would bet that the bottles you experienced had very little, if any time in decanter. Robert's M.O. has typically been to pop and pour.

It would be great for you to post your tasting impressions in the Port Tasting Note Forum. Thanks for your read on these 2005s!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com