help! need a tip

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

DavidG
Location: Sacramento, California, United States of America - USA

help! need a tip

Post by DavidG »

What Madeira’s are found most commonly in stores across country and of those what are the value Madeira’s...I'm looking for something I can find in Sacramento for a new years dinner with family...just want something that wont cause me to drop a benji and tastes good! I would be the only one at the dinner with above average wine knowledge and experience so keep that in mind...thanks!!!

is this possible???
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

David,

I'd head to your local wine shop and ask about a ten year Madeira. Not sure in your exact area, but Blandy's, Cossart Gordon, Broadbent, have yummy Malmsey's for the money in my book. Leacock's 10 yr is another, although i haven't had that one personally. The 15 yr ones get a bit spendy for an even smaller portion of wine since they are in 500mL bottles. But the ten year are way better IMO than the 5 yrs.

Cheers, hope this helps.

P.S. I'm no expert on Madeira, this is just what i've found out so far in my very short madeira drinking career. :lol: Yes I said career as I hope it be a long and fun Madeira filled journey!
Scott Anaya
DavidG
Location: Sacramento, California, United States of America - USA

Post by DavidG »

Thanks for the tip....I'll be on the lookout...happy drinking!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've really enjoyed the Broadbent 10 year Malmsey, and as a matter of fact I've got a bottle open right now and had a couple glasses of it last night. For about $40 is a very good bottle.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

For those not familiar with Madeira, I think the sweeter versions; malvasia and boal, are a better introduction. I know that when I started I prefered these, but the more I drink, the more I enjoy verdelho and its ilk.
Peter Reutter

Post by Peter Reutter »

A ten year old sweet or semi-sweet blend for desert and/or coffee - you can't go wrong with that!

Happy New Year!

Peter
*Wine makes poets of us all!* Hamilton in Silas Weir Mitchell's A Madeira Party.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

On the cheap side, Broadbent is pretty good. If they do not have a vintage or age indication, look for "full rich" if you want sweet or "rain water" for slightly drier style. Sandeman makes some at good prices too, but I have not tried them yet.

The botles Scott Anaya mentioned are also popular in my market (Boston). Leacock's 15 year Bual is great. RWC Historic Madeira series is worth having your local B&M order.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Depending on whether it is available in your market, the HM Borges 15 year old Malmsey is a very fine drink with excellent typicity.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com