Event: 2015 Ferreira, Fonseca, Crasto, Infantado LBVs

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lucas S

Event: 2015 Ferreira, Fonseca, Crasto, Infantado LBVs

Post by Lucas S »

Did a 4-way blind tasting with the folks. Decanted 8 hours, served with several cheeses and bread.

1. 2015 Ferreira LBV
The richest in variety of fruit and the most complex of the four right now. A real fruit salad that's hard to pin down. Finish is too strong and acidic, however. My favorite and it received one other 1st place, but the finish will hopefully soften up a bit with time. Will attempt to age a bottle or two. 91 points

2. 2015 Fonseca LBV
Balanced, ripe fruit, and fairly mellow, it seems like it got vanilla and a touch wood from the barrel. Very good, not overly complex, "middle of the road," and was 2nd place for everyone. Can certainly age, but probably doesn't need too much. 90 points

3. 2015 Quinta do Infantado LBV
Sharp, starkly sharper than the other 3, must be the acid. Very clean, dry taste on 1st day - a pleasant one-dimensional cranberry taste. 2nd day was bit more complex but less appealing, a bit tannic in a shallow way & likely needs more time. I liked it a lot on the first day but the other two tasters didn't fancy it. 88 points

4. 2015 Quinta do Crasto LBV
The aroma was super different from the others and not great, it smelled overly ripe in a way I can't describe, must be that "Crasto grass." Didn't enjoy it at all on 1st day as the aroma overpowered the taste, but the taste itself was not bad, just a bit sweet with some complexity. 2nd day was better, well integrated candy-like flavor, almost like those artificial "red" flavors. The aroma eventually went away by the third day and the Port was good. 87 points
Last edited by Lucas S on Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
John M.

Re: 2015 Ferreira, Fonseca, Crasto, Infantado LBVs

Post by John M. »

Nice Summary!!

How long were they decanted before the tasting?

Crasto result feels atypical, but if that was the experience then so be it---that's why we taste them! As I'm reading you wine summaries I am nodding in general agreement. Well done!
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Re: 2015 Ferreira, Fonseca, Crasto, Infantado LBVs

Post by Eric Menchen »

John M. wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:19 am How long were they decanted before the tasting?
Did a 4-way blind tasting with the folks. Decanted 8 hours, served with several cheeses and bread.
Mike J. W.

Re: Event: 2015 Ferreira, Fonseca, Crasto, Infantado LBVs

Post by Mike J. W. »

I've found that the Quinta do Crasto LBV's typically need more age than most LBV's before opening. They're good, but better with about 15 years of age.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes