1999 Quinta do Noval Quinta do Marco vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1999 Quinta do Noval Quinta do Marco vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

This combined label with Noval and another quinta was new for me. Found at Noval wine shop in Pinhao, Douro early June this year. Purchased one bottle. Little info to be found, but apparently it has been declared in three vintages: 1983, 1989 and 1999. In J. D. A. Wisemans book “Port Vintages” the 1983 is described, while 1989 is mentioned. Nothing mentioned about 1999.

Decanted 2 hrs, which was OK. It was limited development after those 2 hrs. Plenty of small sediments at decanting. Colour was deep dark red. Fruity aroma where the fruit is on the way to be overripe. Hints of blackcurrant. Medium to full body. Quite smooth. Start is very fruity with sufficient tannins in the background. Some undefined herbs. The acidity/sweetness-balance is OK. Some dryness towards the end. The overripe fruit is dominating. Medium long aftertaste. 87 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1999 Quinta do Noval Quinta do Marco vintage port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Also found this at the shop and tried it. No clue how long it was in the decanter there, but got a glass anyways since I’ve never had it. I found it pleasant but also noticed the rich fruit with a touch of bake. It’s drinking nicely now but isn’t as complex as a regular Noval and will be nice in the near term from now.

IIRC, Marco is a vineyard below the main road out of Pinhao, as you approach Noval. I’ve had the ‘83 a long time ago, which was well past it’s prime from what I recall.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com