A sound buying strategy?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

A sound buying strategy?

Post by Ted D »

I've always been buying without much strategy.
Much driven by what Ports I found good deals on as well as whimsy -- a bit of that, a bit of this, etc.

I imagine many others cellars have grown similarly

At 46, with hopefully a few decades of life left, I've amassed 400 bottles of Port, with a breakdown as follows:

1966 - 1 bottle
1970 - 12 bottles
1977 - 23 bottles
1983 - 21 bottles
1985 - 23 bottles
1991 - 14 bottles
1992 - just 1!
1994 - 43 bottles
1995 -12 bottles
1997 - 48 bottles
2000 - 116 bottles (a birth year)
2003 - 61 bottles
2005 - 15 bottles

A very good smattering of magnums as well I assure you.

Consumption -- random. I've had one bottle of Port in the past 4 months, but sometimes may open 10 bottles in a week.

My consumption shows little rhyme or reason, and parallels my life that way.

Income is also random as a self employed entrepreneurial type.

1985 and earlier seem to be prime drinking for me. I've had to take many 85s offsite to keep my paws off them! I certainly want to try some of them over the next few decades.

Ahhh, and one more fact. Port is my largest wine holding percentage wise, for obvious reasons to this board!

Thoughts oh esteemed board members?
Any Port in a Storm
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Ted,

like you i dont have a buying strategy either, though my weakness is old bottles of port. Most of my buyings are inspired by either the tasting notes here or recommendations from people. Right now i am trying to get Roy's 12 which will be completed somewhere next year. In the meantime i scavenge auctions and little wine shops i encounter when i visit other cities. This is the way i like it and gives me much pleasure.

Sounds like you have the same, so enjoy it while you can !

Cheers
Erik

PS. 400 bottles ? Thats a lot. I'm close to 100 now
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

Hi Ted your spread of vintages looks very similar to me especially earlier this year although I seem to have majored in the 94's not the 2000's. I had a good look at what I wanted to drink and came to the conclusion that it was older bottles. I then had to decide do I want to purchase; lots of odd bottles or should it be by the case. I decided to go for the case as I could watch a port develop and it was cheaper to buy by the dozen.( well the per bottle price was cheaper!) I have this year have purchased Graham& Fonseca 85 and Warre & Graham 70. I will still continue to buy some younger ports but mainly as you describe on a whim and on price.

It was this forum that made me think about this and I am really pleased I have these older ports as they will only become even more expensive and difficult to find. My buying strategy was also based on good provenance so they were not particularly bargains and I could have bought them elsewhere cheaper but again this does not bother me. I would rather have a case or two less than risk the quality.

I hope this gives you a bit of food for thought and do let us know if and what you decide to do

Regards Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ted,

Glad you decided to post this here as I had a feeling you'd wind up with some very sound advice. I am sure others will also provide you with insight and this topic will benefit many who follow the thread.

I'll be back.

Give my best to your family and a HEALTHY 2008 to the entire Demopoulos clan!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Ted,

At 47, I have a year's head start, so this might be a target for you in one year's time!

My cellar of VP currently stands at:

Under 10yrs - 288 bottles
10 - 20yrs - 884 bottles
20 - 30yrs - 288 bottles
30 - 40yrs - 304 bottles
40 - 50yrs - 182 bottles
50 - 60yrs - 40 bottles
60 - 80yrs - 42 bottles
80 - 100yrs - 32 bottles
Over 100yrs - 4 bottles

I don't have any 2005's yet, so you're ahead of me there, and I admire your holding of 1992's - as the most over-priced recent vintage (IMO..) - one bottle is quite enough!

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

And if anyone can match the depth of Tom's Port holdings, I'd be very surprised. I have been to his home and seen his extraordinary cellar and can say it is mighty impressive to see what he has amassed over the years! :thumbsup:

Tom,

Nice to see you drop by and hope in 2008 it might lead to more frequency.

Have a HEALTHY and Port filled New Year!

Sincerely,

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ted D

Post by Ted D »

Thanks for the comments everyone.
I've grown a bit today, a case of 2004 Quinta de Roriz (a birthyear) and 2 more 2005 Crofts Quinta da Whatever.

Tom, I may catch up, but don't bet on it :)

I'm thinking on what I should be doing too (besides making more money, which I am working on), and may post my thoughts later
Any Port in a Storm
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I can sincerely say that I will likely never match Tom's cellar, even if he were to stop buying Port tomorrow... unless I win a lottery. (Tomorrow night's draw is for $28Million... I would at least be able to START to catch up to Uncle Tom with around 1000 bottles with that kind of money I suspect...)

As far as a buying strategy Ted, I, like some of the others, do not have one. It is based on meager income and limited availability of certain Ports in my area (particularly older vintages which are priced in Canada nearly as ridiculously as Bordeaux is today.)

I guess the only strategy I employ is avoidance of discovery by the CFO, my wife. She recently peeked under the stairs and was amazed to see so many bottles there. I used an Uncle Tom line and told her that while we weren't looking, the bottles started breeding. (unfortunately, she was not amused)

Todd
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Very few Sandeman's in Québec - 2000 Vau and 1997 Vau
- the occasional tawny
Todd , I guess you and I and other Portonians with two or more young ones at home with a modest income and live in Canada must adapt to a different reality . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Luc Gauthier wrote:Very few Sandeman's in Québec - 2000 Vau and 1997 Vau
- the occasional tawny
Todd , I guess you and I and other Portonians with two or more young ones at home with a modest income and live in Canada must adapt to a different reality . . .
You'll just have to envite me up more to deliver port bargins from New England... :lol:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Moses Botbol wrote:
- the occasional tawny
You'll just have to envite me up more to deliver port bargins from New England... :lol:
Now there is an offer I woudl be willing to take you up on Moses... however Edmonton is a LONG way from New England!!! ;)
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Moses Botbol wrote:
- the occasional tawny
Moses , I'll have to take you up on that offer . :winepour:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Nice lineup Ted!
I would get rid of all the 1970's and '77's they are just too old and probably no good..
Moses B. and I are close to NH and can probably help get rid of them for you.. we normally only charge a small "bottle disposal" fee of .27 per unit but I would be willing to just get rid of those 70's bottles for free because you are a fellow FTLOP member.

:lol:
Ted D

Post by Ted D »

Sean,
You and Moses hopefully can come and help me drink up some of the old bottles some time!
I'm about an hour North of Boston.
Any Port in a Storm
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Ted D wrote:Sean,
You and Moses hopefully can come and help me drink up some of the old bottles some time!
I'm about an hour North of Boston.
Sounds good to me..or if you want to come to MA.. any weekend!
We just had a 1963 Sandeman and a 1966 Graham last night and both were excellent. Let me know and we can put something together..maybe a bunch of 70's stuff?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ted has been promising to come to Seattle for years now Sean. Fortunately you are much closer and hopefully you'll be able to be the New England-based FTLOP chapter MC for offlines. :lol:
Ted D

Post by Ted D »

A drive is easier than a fly Roy, but then again maybe not safer after Port :)

I don't get around like I used to with 3 little kids, but I'm up for something semi-local! Might even be able to do it here. My kids love Port!
Any Port in a Storm