Very Old Port.

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Very Old Port.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Sorry for asking, but I need a reminder on how old "Very Old" Port is. Was it a classification used before TWAIOA came about? Was there ever any control over what could be classified a Very Old Port? Roughly how old is a Very Old Port and when did they stop using that expression on bottlings?
Thanks.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Very Old Port.

Post by Glenn E. »

IIRC, a Port that is at least 10 years old may be labeled as an "Old" Port, while a Port that is at least 30 years old may be labeled as a "Very Old" Port. There is also now a new category of "Very Very Old" which is for Ports that are at least 80 years old.

For bottles going to the US, the limit is 40 Years Old to be labeled "Very Old" Port.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Re: Very Old Port.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Thanks Glenn.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes