Decanting time for 1900 Niepoort Colheita

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Decanting time for 1900 Niepoort Colheita

Post by John Danza »

For those who have tasted the 1900 Niepoort Colheita, most of which have statements on the bottle that it was bottled in 1972, do you have a recommendation for how far in advance the wine should be decanted before service? My gut tells me a couple of hours, but I thought I would ask those who have come before me. Thanks!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Decanting time for 1900 Niepoort Colheita

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've had this one and the VV with several hours of decanting and it was stunning. So I don't think you would go wrong with a few hours of air.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Danza

Post by John Danza »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:25 am I've had this one and the VV with several hours of decanting and it was stunning. So I don't think you would go wrong with a few hours of air.
That's great Andy. I have served the VV as well, and I believe I gave that a few hours of air as well. Thanks for the help!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:25 am I've had this one and the VV with several hours of decanting and it was stunning. So I don't think you would go wrong with a few hours of air.
I agree with Andy. Anything wood-aged Port that's been in bottle that long needs some decant time, so a couple of hours (or a few) will be beneficial.
Glenn Elliott
John Danza

Post by John Danza »

Glenn E. wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:22 pm
I agree with Andy. Anything wood-aged Port that's been in bottle that long needs some decant time, so a couple of hours (or a few) will be beneficial.
Thanks Glenn!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

We recently opened a bottle of Niepoort 1912 colheita, bottled in 1981, and gave it 24 hours in the decanter. Over that time it opened and really got to show at its best.

It needed at least 12 hours but was probably at its peak at about 22 hours. After about 22 hours (a) our palates were a bit tired with all the other wines we’d been drinking and (b) there was nothing left in the decanter.

But on a serious side, I’d say these old Niepoort colheitas which have been in bottles for decades can use at least 12 hours and are in great form with 24 hours in the decanter before drinking.

They’re not unlike Madeira where the rule of thumb is 1 day of decanting for every decade in bottle.
Last edited by Al B. on Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

With an old-in-bottle Port like this, it will need time in decanter for the minor particulate that has precipitated out, also to clean up the aromatics after 5+ decades in bottle. I'd rather err on the side of caution and leave it in an open decanter for 3-4 hours at most. The VV bottling is a sturdy Port and can handle that.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

John Danza wrote:For those who have tasted the 1900 Niepoort Colheita,
how far in advance the wine should be decanted before service?
Exactly as long as it would take me to get to you :)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phil W wrote:
John Danza wrote:For those who have tasted the 1900 Niepoort Colheita,
how far in advance the wine should be decanted before service?
Exactly as long as it would take me to get to you :)
Best answer so far hahaha!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com