Antonio Aguilar Tonico

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

A.S. Demka

Antonio Aguilar Tonico

Post by A.S. Demka »

IMG_8545.jpeg
IMG_8545.jpeg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 361 times
We found this bottle in my late father-in-law’s wine cellar and I am puzzled.
The label text reads
Vino del Porto Velhissimo
INVALIDO
Signature of Antonio Aguilar
And in the lower right corner: TONICO

The top of the capsule reads: Antonio Aguilar Limited

Can someone tell me more about this bottle? I once read that ‘tonic/quinine’ was added for the Brazil market.
Last edited by A.S. Demka on Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A.S. Demka

Re: Antonio Aguilar Tonico

Post by A.S. Demka »

Plus another picture
IMG_8544.jpeg
IMG_8544.jpeg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 360 times
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

What are the words in red on the "banners" on either side of the shields at the top of the label?

The word on the right looks like it might be "degustada"?

Port with quinine added is called quinado and - as far as I know - was a 20th century invention, so 1877 seems too early. Though maybe it was just the name "quinado" that started in the 20th century and this is the same thing from before that name became accepted?
Glenn Elliott
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

Glenn E. wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:52 pm What are the words in red on the "banners" on either side of the shields at the top of the label?

The word on the right looks like it might be "degustada"?

Port with quinine added is called quinado and - as far as I know - was a 20th century invention, so 1877 seems too early. Though maybe it was just the name "quinado" that started in the 20th century and this is the same thing from before that name became accepted?
Thanks Glenn,
It reads marca (left) registada (right), not much added value, unfortunately.
Best regards, Alle
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Google translate says “Invalido” is Italian. So possibly made for that market.

Based on the name and tonic I’d lean toward it being something with tonic and quinine in it. I’d guess it is rather old.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:00 pm Google translate says “Invalido” is Italian. So possibly made for that market.

Based on the name and tonic I’d lean toward it being something with tonic and quinine in it. I’d guess it is rather old.
Unfortunately it is also Portuguese, as is Tonico. Or at least they both can be Portuguese. Lots of commonality between all of those old romance languages!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:00 pm Google translate says “Invalido” is Italian. So possibly made for that market.

Unfortunately it is also Portuguese, as is Tonico. Or at least they both can be Portuguese. Lots of commonality between all of those old romance languages!
Google is never wrong Image
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Quinine added to the port for when you want booze, but feeling a little under the weather.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

The question is whether quinine was added or not. I presumed this as the label also reads 'TONICO'.
In the meantime I found on Vivino that Aguilar is a winehouse owned by the Symington Family Estates. Funny, as Google can't find any other connections between Aguilar and Symington.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

There were many producers releasing an "invalid" Port(Niepoort, Sandeman, Feist, Offley, Barros, Gilbey). I have sent a few emails and no one was ever able to really tell me why this term was used on the bottles. The most I got was Dirk Niepoort telling me it would be bottled as Tawny Reserve in nowadays standards. On Barros lavel it is written "Best Old Medium Tawny Port" which would confirm what Dirk is saying.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company