Unknown Terrantez

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Yev Nyden

Unknown Terrantez

Post by Yev Nyden »

I got this bottle from Christie's which claimed its origin to be "... the cellar of the first President of Junta Nacional do Vinho Madeira". The Terrantez handwriting faded but is still readable. Though the lot mentioned a stenciled label, I was not able to find any traces of it. Looking at the photos of lots with the same provenance, I spotted a very similar new wax capsule on many bottles. I wonder if anyone would know anything about this bottle or might be able to guess its age or the producer/shipper. I'm (wishfully) thinking it's probably from the late 19th.

[cheers.gif]
Terrantez_1.png
Terrantez_1.png (204.57 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
Terrantez_2.jpg
Terrantez_2.jpg (320.96 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
Andreas Platt

Re: Unknown Terrantez

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hi Yev!

Was tempted to bid on some bottles myself.

As for your question it is always hard to tell the origins as long as you haven't seen the cellar yourself, but Chrsties had and so my suggestion is to forward any related questions to Christies themselves...I do know that Madeira head director Mr. Vos is a regular reader here, so I wouldn't be surprised if he made contact to you.

Best
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

stencilled label ≠ stencilled bottle.
Yev Nyden

Post by Yev Nyden »

Ah, I didn't realize there was a difference. Thanks for pointing that out, Andreas; although I'm still not sure what 'stenciled bottle' mean.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Yev Nyden wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:57 am Ah, I didn't realize there was a difference. Thanks for pointing that out, Andreas; although I'm still not sure what 'stenciled bottle' mean.
Kopke Colheita Port bottles, for example. White printing right onto the bottle.

I have the opposite problem, I can't quite figure out what is meant by a "stenciled label".
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I took a flyer at that auction as well. Assuming the head of the JVM would have some decent stuff in his cellar. I believe the organization started in the 50's but the wine is probably much older.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Funny, that I had two individual inquire for my guidance on that same bottle.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com