1994 Dow's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Richard Henderson

1994 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by Richard Henderson »

This may be the finest Dow I have ever tasted. Upon opening, extrememely dense and unyielding. At 22 hours in an unstoppered decanter, a little hot but not out of balance on the nose a little hazlenut spice on the nose with licorice, warm strawyberry jam and butter on whole wheat toast. Full , warm mouthfeel. Coats the palate well releasing many of the same flavors on the nose. You can taste the brandy but it is smooth and nice almost like an XO cognac.
I have always liked the 63 and 66 best. I really like the 77, 83 and 85 but this is really ahead of those three. The 63 and 66 must have been like this at 14.
This is really great stuff with a great future.

I think about 95-97 points.
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard,
A very solid bottle. Here is mine TN link to it.
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... php?t=4670

Of course it was only decanted maybe a few hours (at most) before decanting so take that into account.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

You have no idea how happy this makes me, because I just picked up the last 2 bottles of this from my local wine store a couple of weeks ago for the ludicrous price of $70/bottle.

I've have heard that you really can't go wrong with an 1994 VP, but Dow's wasn't on my list of bottles to acquire. I just couldn't pass up that price, though, and am now very glad that I did!

If I'm still posting in another 10-15 years when I open them I'll be sure to let you know how they turn out. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Richard Henderson

I find great success in decanting these younger ports for 18-22 hours.
They have the concentration and tannins to last and the decanting really smoothes them out.

Glenn, I bought this bottle several years ago. Paid $59 for it!
Richard Henderson
Richard Henderson

I put a stopper on this 24 hours ago. After 48 hours this is still strong stuff, fading slightly on the finish but this will be one of Dow's best ever.
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

You have no idea how happy this makes me, because I just picked up the last 2 bottles of this from my local wine store a couple of weeks ago for the ludicrous price of $70/bottle.
Can I ask a question? If you consider this expensive at $70, what Cabernets can you purchase for less, with this much bottle age, from CA ('94 was an equally fabulous vintage in Napa) that will drink this well? Or for that matter, anywhere!

Be thrilled that you scored bottles of this Vintage Port. One can NEVER have enough. If $70 feels expensive now, see if you feel that way down the road after you consume 'em. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

I may have misunderstodd but I thought he thought $70 was a low price. :?
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

You know Richard, it seem that you are correct.

OK, never mind my last post. :oops:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Yes indeed, I thought that $70 was an outrageously low price for that quality of port. I would normally expect to pay $100 or more for a '94... or even higher for a Taylor Fladgate.

The same wine shop had 2 bottles of the '94 Taylor Fladgate at $250 each, and both were gone before I arrived on the 2nd day of the sale. I went there specifically to pick them up (they were being marked down 30% for the sale) and ended up getting the Dow's instead because the big boys were already gone.

Is my perspective on prices skewed? What should one expect to pay for a high quality vintage?
Glenn Elliott
Richard Henderson

$70 is a good price for the 94 Dow in today's market. $250 for the Taylor seems high. While we are not directly plugging that website winesearcher.com gives a broad view of prices around the conutry. They list the lowest price for Dow at $70 so yours was a good deal. They list Taylor 94 from around $160 with $250 being the high on the free information part of the website.
Richard Henderson