Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

Post by Glenn E. »

Hi Martin, welcome to FTLOP!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Martin. Glad to have you with us!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Martin,

Sorry I am late to the party to welcome you. I hope you will find this Forum filled with good information and please know we are happy to answer any questions you may have as well.

Best regards,

Roy Hersh
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Will H.

Post by Will H. »

Great to be here! Based in Australia.

I had enjoyed ports on occasion but my penny dropping moment came when a generous member of my wine group brought a 1955 Nacional to our end of year function last year - I can still taste it if I concentrate.

I most enjoy ports when they get to their ethereal stage. Am currently enjoying acquiring and drinking 1977s as I’ve generally found them to have intensely ripe red fruits and seem to be approaching a really nice drinking window.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Will H. wrote:Great to be here! Based in Australia.

I had enjoyed ports on occasion but my penny dropping moment came when a generous member of my wine group brought a 1955 Nacional to our end of year function last year - I can still taste it if I concentrate.

I most enjoy ports when they get to their ethereal stage. Am currently enjoying acquiring and drinking 1977s as I’ve generally found them to have intensely ripe red fruits and seem to be approaching a really nice drinking window.
Hi Will,
Welcome to the forum!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Will H. wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:01 am Great to be here! ...
Welcome Will! I think you will find many friendly and helpful voices here.

When I started seriously drinking Port ~15 years ago, I thought the 1970s were all wonderful. Today I still find good ones, but the risk factor for a lesser showing is definitely greater now. I too think 1977s might be in the sweet spot today--but we need to keep an eye on them. Best to sample regularly so we aren't caught off-guard [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Will H. wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:01 am Great to be here! Based in Australia.

Hi Will, welcome to FTLOP!

[welcome.gif]

1977 Vintage Ports are enjoying a resurgence right now, so it's a good time to be buying them!
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Will H. wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:01 am Great to be here! Based in Australia.

Welcome to the Forum, Will. Do you have a favorite '77? How's the selection down under?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Will H.

Post by Will H. »

Thanks all for the warm welcome! The following have been in the past 6 months (fortunately I’ve been following your advice Eric).

A really good Graham’s kicked of my excitement with 1977. Beautiful strawberry fruit, rich but delicate and light. I’ve had another that was similar and another where the spirit was sticking out a bit.

Have had a 1977 Dow’s that had a similar candied strawberry fruit tone, going into spied stewed rhubarb and then glacéd cherries. Really enjoyed it.

Then a 1977 Fonseca (side by side with a 77 Graham’s) which was a different beast. Denser, spicier, less sweetness. Fabulous.

I’m 42 and have been fortunate to taste many older ports from wine group members in their 70s and 80s. After initially buying 2011s and 2016s, I realised 50+ years of age is where I like my ports so focused on buying at auction where there is surprisingly good supply of old Portuguese VPs (I’m told there has historically been good supply into Australia).

Port is one of the few things I’ll happily buy at auction and I’ve found them to be much more resilient than Pinot, Nebbiolo or Chardonnay.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Will H.

Late to the party to welcome you to the Forum! [cheers.gif]

In addition to stocking up on the 1977 Vintage, which occasionally has been problematic due to faulty corks, when spot on bottles are found .. this vintage can produce some great bottles. Have you found any Gould Campell or Smith Woodhouse from that vintage yet?

Do not overlook 1980, which can typically be found for less money and they are also showing younger than the 3 years of difference from 1977. The 1980 VPs are spectacular at the moment, although "only" 44 years of age.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com