Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Rudy
welcome to the Forum! Glad you got to spend time in Oporto/Gaia, it is such the magical place. And that you got to try some really good Port to change your mind about how good it can be. Look forward to reading more posts from you.

Oh, and your English is just fine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hi Rudy, welcome to FTLOP!

[welcome.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Welcome to both Rudy and Craig! It's nice to have new perspectives here, and I hope you two stick around for a while.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Hello All, I hail from The Berkshires in Massachusetts.
I'm very new to port and have yet to actually try a VP but do enjoy a Ruby or LBV most evenings. Looking forward to learning from you all.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Mike J wrote:Hello All, I hail from The Berkshires in Massachusetts.
Welcome Mike!

(From a Mike from eastern MA)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm very new to port and have yet to actually try a VP but do enjoy a Ruby or LBV most evenings. Looking forward to learning from you all.
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the Forum, nice to have you!! [welcome.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Welcome to FTLOP!

Lots of Port geeks here, and we're all happy to answer questions. Glad to have you with us!
Glenn Elliott
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

welcome, Mike! i didn't have my first VP until about a year ago, with guidance and encouragement from this forum. now i bemoan that my budget keeps me to Reserves and the occasional LBV. folks are great here. read old threads, resurrect old threads [i specifically asked about doing that, they like it here], and ask lots of questions. above all, tell us about what you're drinking when you do! [cheers.gif]

if you feel intimidated or feel like you can't ask a particular question, feel free to scroll back through my posts to see someone asking questions about the absolute fundamental basics and being answered with enthusiasm, kindness, and even humor.
maybe you have more self confidence, but i was absolutely terrified when i joined. i can't say enough good things, though, this is the nicest corner of the internet I've come across.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Mike, (and thanks Scheiny!)

Way way back in a time machine, at 9 years of age, I began skiing in the Berkshires and loved it. Great memories!

There are plenty of Mass., folks here. Do not be intimidated by the knowledge of the crew here. Everyone is friendly and even more so to newbies who join us. Ask a simple question and you will be amazed how many responses you will get; helpful and friendly.

Anyway, we are very happy you have found us and if you need anything from buying advice, to opinions on how long to keep something open or to decant; really anything ... we are most happy that you are now part of this community of Port and Portuguese wine lovers.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Zak Romaszko

Post by Zak Romaszko »

Hi all,

I'm Zak, 25 year old physics researcher in the UK. Been into Port relatively casually for a few years, but really started getting into it the past year. Currently have a collection of different Ports including the quite probably dreadful '93 Quinta Das Liceras Vintage but has great sentimentality to me :)

Looking forward to chatting to you all about this new found passion!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Zak Romaszko wrote:Hi all,

I'm Zak, 25 year old physics researcher in the UK. Been into Port relatively casually for a few years, but really started getting into it the past year. Currently have a collection of different Ports including the quite probably dreadful '93 Quinta Das Liceras Vintage but has great sentimentality to me :)

Hi Zac
Welcome to the Forum! I know one other person who has a stash of the same VP, for his son. I understand it's actually decent...I hope, lol.

Feel free to ask away, this group loves helping others turn into Port geeks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

fantastic! how did you get into drinking it casually? what's gotten you more into it this year?
Zak Romaszko

Post by Zak Romaszko »

Scheiny S wrote:

fantastic! how did you get into drinking it casually? what's gotten you more into it this year?
Well my dad always like a little bit here and there (what ever you could find in the supermarket) so growing up, i'd have a bit. Been to Porto 3 times, but on this third visit (few months back) really went all out on tasting flights :)
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

that's great! i'm pretty jealous.
S Epstein

Post by S Epstein »

Hi Folks,

I'm Stew from California. My love affair with Port started in 1990 when I tasted a Ficklin Tinta port. It sparked an interest in wine which led to me switching careers from advertising sales to professional winemaking. While I was a an enology student I worked at Ficklin (I begged Peter Ficklin to let me intern there) and he introduced me to a broad range of Ports from their library. I've been collecting, and drinking, ports ever since then. Until I recently found this forum I had no idea that there was an active community of Port aficionados.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Welcome Stew! While not the same as the Port from Portugal, those Ficklin wines can be very enjoyable. I've got a few in the cellar.

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Stew and welcome to the Forum. You’ve found the collection of the nerdiest bunch of Port lovers out there. Everyone here lives to share their knowledge so if you have any questions ask away.

And domestic “ports” can be a touchy subject even though some are very good (including Flicklin). Just ignore those folks they actually drink them too on occasion but don’t admit it LOL!

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Stew,

Nice to have you join us here!

I am a big fan of Ficklin for a long time. My favorite is still the 1991 vintage port - style of wine. It is incredibly good for a CA dessert wine.

[welcome.gif] aboard!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David L

Post by David L »

Hello All,

As I've now posted my first post here, I'd better introduce myself.

i've always liked Vintage Port, but until relatively recently I hadn't tried that many. Over the last few years I've been buying more Vintage Port (and some good Crusted and Late Bottled Vintage), and have been lucky enough to attend offlines here in London where I've tried many excellent Ports and equally importantly made many excellent friends. I'm pleased to say that I have begun to correct my inexcusable lack of Port error, and I am now most certainly hooked.

Dave
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

David L wrote:Hello All,

As I've now posted my first post here, I'd better introduce myself.

i've always liked Vintage Port, but until relatively recently I hadn't tried that many. Over the last few years I've been buying more Vintage Port (and some good Crusted and Late Bottled Vintage), and have been lucky enough to attend offlines here in London where I've tried many excellent Ports and equally importantly made many excellent friends. I'm pleased to say that I have begun to correct my inexcusable lack of Port error, and I am now most certainly hooked.

Dave
Hi Dave,
Welcome to the Forum! Have no fear this group and the Londoners will have you spending all your spare Pounds on Port in no time LOL.