#11 What is your favorite vintage of Martinez VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#11 What is your favorite vintage of Martinez VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

The next in the lineup of producers is Martinez and since some folks don't know them well and have had their Single Quinta VPs under the Eira Velha designation, please do feel free to include them. I know that the UK has a stronger market for Martinez, but the East Coast of the US also has always been a stronger market for them then here on the left coast. So, which is your favorite VP vintage?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: #11 What is your favorite vintage of Martinez VP?

Post by Derek T. »

From the very few I have tasted it would be the 1985. A spectacular bottle provided by Alan C at a tasting in the UK in 2007 (or maybe 2006) and a few others which were not so good but still very nice. Alan C's bottle was labeled Harvey's, which was the brand name used by Martinez in the US from time to time.

Derek
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Nothing really impressed me, a few OK bottles from 85, 91 and 2000. But even though it was not great, 95 Quinta da Eira Velha was probably the most enjoyable VP I had from Martinez.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

An interesting point is that the bottle Alan brought along to the tasting had been badly stored. It was the bottle that sparked alan's first posts on this Forum if you want to look up the history.

All of the other 1985 Martinez I have had have been far less enjoyable than Alan's bottle.

This may well be a case of bad storage improving the wine :shock:

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I too have had very little from this producer, but the 1967 was probably the best I've had from them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

The 2003 that we tasted on the Harvest tour (the wine was not yet released) was the best I've ever had from them. However, I believe that they no longer have distibution to the US (at least not the western US), so I've been unable to taste that in released form.

Of released bottles that I've had, I prefer the 1994 Quinta da Eira Velha.

-Dave-
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Only had two vintages of Martinez; '67 and '55; both were great. The '55 was still youthful. Martinez vintages cost a lot on the shelf here on the east coast and not too much comes to auction. No opinion on what their best vintage is at this point. Like Offley, I would like to try more.

Out of the two I tried, the '55 has my vote.
Last edited by Moses Botbol on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Has to be the 55. That's the fastest I've ever consumed a case - just perfect!
Had the 70 recently and it was also a standout.

IIRC I posted earlier on Quinta da Eira velha (I think it was this Board) asking if anyone knew the history. I've had older Eira velhas that don't show any connection to Martinez. Still have a few bottles of 43 Eira Velha in my cellar (from a case bought a few years back). EVERY bottle has been in great shape - but each bottle seems to taste a little different, in a good way too.
Only bad experience was the 2000 - several bottles were corked!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

From what I know Eira Velha was not owned by Martinez. They were buying grapes from the vineyard and producing a single Quinta for them. Now the Quinta is in the hand of Taylor Fladgate Partnership.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I'd say that the best vintage of Martinez that I've had would probably be the 1994. Although I also enjoyed the '87 quite a bit as well.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Actually Quinta da Eira Velha was used as the backbone for two vintage Port producers: Cockburn's and Martinez and prior to the 1970s the juice mostly went into Ferreira's Port and before that Graham's and Tuke Holdsworth which is a name few people even know. I have only had some Tuke H. Ports because my friend Bartholomew Broadbent used to have some.

I am trying to decide which Martinez I liked best and it is between one which was just a Martinez-Gassiot bottling and the other a considerably younger Martinez "SQVP" which was bottled by Martinez from the Eira Velha vineyard. I'll wait to see if others want to chime in before deciding.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Not much ecstasy so far. I have an untouched OWC of the 1994 Martinez VP. So please give some support :help: . A fantastic VP for the ages, isn't it?!. Ah, there are also 2 bottles of 1994 Da Eira Velha. Mr. Suckling loved this one! No tender feelings here?

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

As mentioned, I adored the Harveys 85, and it is now a blind spot for me. What I would say is dont try drinking it for at least 6 hours, and maybe even longer. It at first smells flat and taste almost 'soily', but when it opens up it is light and complex, with a mouthfeel to die for. I've two left, kindly supplied by KillerBee. I'm envious of those who've had the 55, most tasting notes seem to suggest this is similar.

But from me, your not going to get much perspective, it's like looking into your young daughters eyes, how can you see faults. :)

Alan
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I love the 1994. Haven't had many other vintages of Martinez, so it's easy to pick a favorite.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Jay P

Post by Jay P »

My favorite is the 1994 Eira Velha, followed by the 1994 regular botteling. Both are very good. I have a few bottles of each still in the celler, where they will remain for a while yet. I just picked up a single bottle each of the '95 and '92 Eira Velha at K&L for $29 each. I'm planning to drink them sooner rather than later to check them out.

Jay
Mike McCune
Location: Bothell, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike McCune »

1994 Martinez. Out of the larger number of bottles of 94 Eira Velha, none of them has been better than the regular Martinez.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've just realised that I never replied to this thread - I've been stung into doing so by Roy's comment in the thread of the 1967 Martinez tasting note posted by Andy, where Roy says that he never touches Martinez ports unless someone else is opening them. Shame on you Roy, there are some super Martinez wines that you should think about adding to your cellar - but, then again, there are more for the rest of us if you don't. Cancel my last comment, I'll buy your share and then open one or two of them with you!

Perhaps a Martinez vertical should be organised in the UK one day when you next visit...

I don't have my tasting notes with me right now, so these comments are being written from memory. I can recall having drunk Martinez from 1997, 1994, 1985, 1983, 1970, 1967, 1963, 1955 and 1927. The '97 needs some time to pull itself together - assuming that it has the stuffing to do so; it's not great at the moment. The '94 is a fabulous wine and will only get better. This is one of those wines that come in under the radar and give wonderful enjoyment. The last bottle of the '67 I had was 3-4 years ago so the recent tasting notes make me think I should open another one soon. That '67 was good and enjoyable, but I have had better ports. The '85 is lasting well and shows few signs of the VA that affect some shippers, it's a good and relatively inexpensive '85. The '83 is also a good wine, but I prefer the '83 from many other shippers so I can't really rate this as a top wine. The '70 is OK, but not up to the standard from other shippers. The '63 is fading and can be glossed over, as can the only bottle of '27 that I have had.

For me, the decision is clear. The Martinez 1955 is a stunning wine (perhaps the '94 will be up to the same standard one day). Last time I was served the '55 blind, I guessed that it was a port from the '70s. It is fruity but mature and is an exceedingly elegant drink. My "Favourite Martinez" vote is for the '55 Martinez. Simply scrumptious (and possibly in my top 11-20 vintage ports...I feel another list coming on).

So Roy, what is your favourite Martinez?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1997 Martinez Eira Velha.

I've had no really old bottles of Martinez though lots of young ones, as the importer for years was Stimson Lane (think Chat. Ste. Michelle and Columbia Crest) the former is 10-15 minutes from here and I used to get to drink the '85s to date, before keeping my TNs electronically. Maybe a 1955 would convince me otherwise, but I've never been blown away by any Martinez Port post '85.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:1997 Martinez Eira Velha.

I've had no really old bottles of Martinez though lots of young ones, as the importer for years was Stimson Lane (think Chat. Ste. Michelle and Columbia Crest) the former is 10-15 minutes from here and I used to get to drink the '85s to date, before keeping my TNs electronically. Maybe a 1955 would convince me otherwise, but I've never been blown away by any Martinez Port post '85.
Roy,

I have not had many Martinez VPs but I do think they are a fine example of a QPR shipper. Similar to Offley in that respect. They rarely command high prices but when they are good they rank amongst many in the second tier of wines from the vintage. 1985 and 1994 are two examples of this. They are not by any means blockbuster wines, but at $25-$40 per bottle they are hard to beat in their price range.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Derek T. wrote: They are not by any means blockbuster wines, but at $25-$40 per bottle they are hard to beat in their price range.
More like $70+ for Martinez around Boston.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars