#12 What is your favorite vintage of Smith Woodhouse VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#12 What is your favorite vintage of Smith Woodhouse VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

It is easy to be predictable and say, that 1977 is your favorite, because it is very solid and still young 31 year old bottling. I know from seeing tasting notes, that there are plenty of Smith Woodhouse fans amongst us. So let fly, your sweet spot with this Port producer of fine VPs (and LBVs).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd O.
Location: Monroe, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Re: #12 What is your favorite vintage of Smith Woodhouse VP?

Post by Todd O. »

I'm a little reluctant to say, because for some reason I fear that people may think I'm crazy, but I definitely have a sweet spot for the 1995 Madalena. It's one of my favorites in its own right, but when you factor in the price, I have yet to find anything that even comes close to this wonderful selection in my opinion. Just my $.02... :)
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

To date, I've only sampled three vintages from Smith Woodhouse: 85, 97, and 00. I had the 85 about 7 or 8 years ago (big, dark and plummy) and the 97 a few months ago (a lighter bodied, more open style). Both were very enjoyable, but the 03 was my favorite so far. Here were my notes on it:

Royal purple color with a raspberry red rim. The nose is deep and inviting and opened up nicely after about three hours of decanting: boysenberry, strawberry, violets, licorice, and a touch of leather. Full bodied palate offering lots of sweet, plummy dark cherry fruit, big, chocolately tannins, and Christmas spices that linger through the long and rich finish. A well built, delicious, cellar-worthy vintage port from Smith-Woodhouse that should become a beauty as it ages. I'd probably give it at least until 2020 before it really smooths out, but I certainly enjoyed it now. Tasted 4/08

Perhaps not the most informed opinion on this one, but that's my two cents. :mrgreen:
The Port Maverick
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Definitively 83. But Smith Woodhouse have really surprised me recently, making a style of Port I really like. Appart from 94, I've never tasted a bad VP from them.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I can only remember having the SW 1977 and 1994 VPs and enjoyed both. But I'm going to vote for the Madalena 1988 - superb juice for the paltry sum of £16 ($32US) per bottle. Hard to beat as a QPR port.

Derek
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I have not had a lot, but from what I have had I would go with 1994, which I think was an underated year for this house. Fortunately, that also means the price is undervalued.

Recently I had the 1980 from a half bottle, which was fairly nice, and fairly mature.

Jay
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Who would have thunk that only four people would have had Smith Woodhouse VPs from this Forum?

The horror! The horror!

And on a separate note, Todd, I don't follow your logic. Why would anyone think you are crazy because you chose the 1995 Madalena? Because it is SQVP when we are talking about the "classic" VPs? Before you know it, everyone here will be choosing 3 vintages, especially Derek. :winepour: Actually, I applaud your choice, based on originality alone.

As my daughter would say: "for real?" :shock:

No, of course not. :roll:

But I must say that your points of why the '95 Madelena is your favorite Smith Woodhouse VP, are not only poignant, they are accurate for your palate, so who would think you are crazy? :thumbsup:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Well the only Smith Woodhouse I have ever had was the 2003 just recently, so I guess I could chime in and say that it is my favorite!

It was a fine young VP, but I can't say I was terribly impressed. I did buy a bottle of it, though, so I guess that says something.
Glenn Elliott
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

1983 for me. Great juice at a great price. I haven't seen any in a long time though.

Steve
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Oops! I mistyped in my above posting. Just to clarify, my TN is of the 2000 Woodhouse, not the 2003.
The Port Maverick
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The 77 SW is the only SW I've had in about 7 years. Todd P. brought it down on our off-line in Boston. It was a touch baked, but did not detract much in its overall assessment which is quite positive! A lovely 77 that is rich, well balanced, and ready to drink. I would buy some if they were available around me.

I wonder what the 70 SW is like?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Steve Culhane wrote:1983 for me. Great juice at a great price. I haven't seen any in a long time though.

Steve
What's that going for at SAQ?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

The 1966 - in half bottles!
Berry Bros had it under their own label (and for a while it was also stocked at their sorely missed Heathrow store - along with the Gould Campbell 66). I used to buy them both every time I passed through Heathrow!
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

hmmm, while I've had a few SW VP's out and about...i can't recall favs. Recently their 94 LBV became a fav of mine and several friends whom I served it too, even a non port drinker/liker. It was very approachable, & enjoyable with pretty velvity tannins.
Scott Anaya
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud

Post by Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud »

I just had the VP 2000, and I think it has great potential, closed down now, but it has a very good balance. I think it will be a quite elegant wine in 20-30 years.
Best Regards
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud
Winetalk http://winetalk.forum-2007.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Steve Culhane wrote:1983 for me. Great juice at a great price. I haven't seen any in a long time though.

Steve
Moses , ya can't get the '83 SW at the SAQ anymore . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

Luc Gauthier wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:

Steve
Moses , ya can't get the '83 SW at the SAQ anymore . . .
Used to be around 70$ 3-4 years back. But like Luc said, the source is dry...
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

Todd O,

I am in complete agreement with the Madelena 1995. I just posted my tasting notes on this awesome vintage.

Mark
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Moses Botbol wrote:The 77 SW is the only SW I've had in about 7 years. Todd P. brought it down on our off-line in Boston. It was a touch baked, but did not detract much in its overall assessment which is quite positive! A lovely 77 that is rich, well balanced, and ready to drink. I would buy some if they were available around me.

I wonder what the 70 SW is like?
The 'baked' touch severely detracted from the score I gave this port in teh early hours. If you are going to open a 77 SW and you smell/taste/detect stewed tomatoes (as both Moses and I agreed upon) leave it for around 6-8 hours and see if it gets any better. If memory serves me correctly (without the TNs in front of me) it got better as time marched on... but then, we had four bottles of VP in front of three of us... the memories MAY be a bit foggy!) :D