Nutritional make-up of Vintage Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Nutritional make-up of Vintage Port?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I was thinking what is the nutritional make-up of Vintage Port? I really don't care about calories...Ok, I really don't want to know :Naughty: . But does anyone know what the other nutritional benefits are?

Vintage Port is nothing more than grape juice, partially fermented, then only the big skins, seeds, and stems are filtered off. It's not filtered or fined, so there must still be some of the nutritional benefit left...fiber, vitamins, etc? Or does the addition of brandy kill off anything remaining.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Nutritional make-up of Vintage Port?

Post by Moses Botbol »

I fret the results... Everyone knows portly comes from port... :evil:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I would venture to guess that port has similar antioxidant properties to red wine, though I've never actually looked into it. And though I'm sure it would probably be scary to see the actual calorie count, I enjoy port so much that I think the benefits to the soul must far outweigh any negative health implications. :lol: :winebath:
The Port Maverick
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I imagine there are some antioxidants kicking around, but perhaps the high alcohol spirit would kill off the majority of the good stuff.

I dud read somewhere that approximate calories are 50 kcal per 1 oz of Port. Something about high residual sugar combined with 20%-ish alcohol makes me believe that is fairly accurate, if not perhaps a tad low :shock:

What I mean to say, Port is an anti-oxidant powerhouse, with no garbage calories or junk of any sort. :D :D :twisted: :roll: :roll:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Heh heh heh...there will be no mention of calories here mister :Naughty:

Lamont I like your thinking...

Todd I was getting worried until I read that last line..
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Port is good for you. Fact. Drink as much as you can and you will live forever.

:salute:
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Please put these cats back in the bag and step away from the keyboard :lol: Unless you are writing about the "nutritional" benefits of Port!!!!! heheeheeee
Scott Anaya
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

Port is good for you -- hey, most of us on this board are still very alive :)

I do wonder about carbs, as sometimes do a carb free diet (until I open a bottle of Port)
*okokhtrreddcccz

Post by *okokhtrreddcccz »

The great news is that port is 100% fat-free.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Charles HW wrote:The great news is that port is 100% fat-free.
YAHOO :!: :!: I like the way you guys think.....now since I can't go to work today and I can't exercise today*, what Port shall I open.....

*Monday I had a bit of a run in with some nasty chemicals at work and ended up in the emergency room for almost 12 hours hooked up to many machines, was poked, proded, and feeling like a guinee pig while they figured out why I had difficulty breathing. Good news is I'm OK, but the lungs are still a little sore to breathe. The doctor has me home bound for the next 3 days to recover.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Good news is I'm OK, but the lungs are still a little sore to breathe. The doctor has me home bound for the next 3 days to recover.
Great time to do a mountain time trial...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Good news is I'm OK, but the lungs are still a little sore to breathe. The doctor has me home bound for the next 3 days to recover.
Great time to do a mountain time trial...
I wish, I was ordered off the bike for a couple of days to boot...not happy about that one :evil: :cry:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote: I had a bit of a run in with some nasty chemicals
Have you been sniffing Cruz Ruby again? I've told you before it's not good for you :Naughty: :lol:

Glad to hear you're ok and getting back on the juice :wink:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks...doing better and I opened a 1967 Martinez VP this past weekend. When i have time later I will post a TN on it.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good to hear you are ok Andy.

Yes, high in carbs, most of which come directly from sugar. Port also has a very high count of the important compound known as resveratrol. If you are unfamiliar with this, (it has been written about for ages and was the first link to wine and health ... far more so than the pure benefits of "alcohol" itself which has some health benefits believe it or not). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com