Burmester Colheita wins top honors

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Burmester Colheita wins top honors

Post by Andy Velebil »

The 1989 Burmester Colheita recently won a top honor at the International Wine Challenge. Read on for more....
We are proud to inform our latest award: BURMESTER COLHEITA 89 WINS “COLHEITA PORT TROPHY”

“Burmester Colheita 89, from Sogevinus, has been elevated from gold medal to Colheita Port Trophy status, the highest prize achieved in the International Wine Challenge.

Besides this unique distinction to Burmester, also Cálem, Kopke and Barros, other brands of Sogevinus portfolio, have also been distinguished with gold and silver awards.

The International Wine Challenge 2008 (IWC) has awarded the highest prize to Burmester, one of Sogevinus brands. This Trophy (IWC Trophy) to Burmester Colheita 1989, from the oenologist Pedro Sá, means a lot to the brand as it is only awarded to those gold medal wines that revealed an outstanding excellence in blind tasting, to a highly demanding judge panel.

Burmester Colheita 1989 shows its personality and balance in its color and its aromas of dry fruits, spice and wood. In the palate is velvety and reveals a long ending. The judges found it a wine with “bright, delightful colors, revealing to be soft and balanced in the nose, with a long and complex ending”.

Besides the Trophy, Sogevinus was awarded with Gold to Kopke Vintage 2005 and with Silver to Cálem Vintage 1999 and Cálem Colheita 1961. Barros LBV 2003 and Barros 20 Years Old were also rewarded with “Commended”.

The International Wine Challenge has special relevance in terms of international awareness to Sogevinus Brands as it is undoubtedly the world largest wine competition.

Sogevinus is present in most of the international competitions as part of its policy of divulging its Port and DOC Douro Wines quality, among thousands of wines coming from all over the world.”
Congratulations to Burmester and Sogevinus :salute:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Re: Burmester Colheita wins top honors

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Here's the complete list of gold medal winners:

- Burmester Colheita Port 1989
- Dow's Crusted Port 2002
- Dow's Vintage Port 1985
- Graham's Crusted Port 2002
- Graham's LBV Port 2003
- Kopke Vintage Port 2005
- Qta. da Gricha (Churchill) Vintage Port 2006
- Qta. da Madalena (Smith Woodhouse) Vintage Port 1996
- Qta. da Senhora da Ribeira (Dow's) Vintage Port 2005
- Ramos Pinto 30 Years Old Tawny Port
- Sandeman 30 Years Old Tawny Port
- Sandeman LBV Port 2000
- Taylor's (Marks and Spencer) Vintage Port 1994
- Taylor's (Mentzendorff u. Co.) Vintage Port 2002
- Warre's Vintage Port 1985
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Odd line up of ports. Why is anyone judging an 1985's at this point?

How do they what ports are represented?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
JacobH

Post by JacobH »

Moses Botbol wrote:Odd line up of ports. Why is anyone judging an 1985's at this point?

How do they what ports are represented?
That's what I was wondering. Even amongst the younger Ports, some, like the Sandeman 2000 LBV, will be coming to the end of their main retail period.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I don't know for sure. But I would guess there was a section for that vintage, or that is just what a producer submited as their entry in a particular category....but I'm just guessing.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:I don't know for sure. But I would guess there was a section for that vintage, or that is just what a producer submited as their entry in a particular category....but I'm just guessing.
Granted Dow and Warre '85 are both great. I think the Grahams '85 has an upper-hand on both of them, but so does its price... Hmmm.... Why didn't Burmester submit their '37 Colheita as well?

I see the begining of a new thread "The greatest '85 vintage port?"
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars