Staying a Niche Website but Still Expanding

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Staying a Niche Website but Still Expanding

Post by Al B. »

Just a suggestion, we all know that Port comes from only one country (to steal someone else's strapline - apologies!), but there are a number of other regions and countries that produce wines that are imitations of or based on the production processes used for Port.

So far, I have posted a tasting note on a South African port I drank last year and have three more bottles that I plan to open and post tasting notes for next year. I have also seen mention of "ports" from producers in the US and in Australia.

Is it worth setting up a new forum heading for "Ports that aren't" for discussion on these non-portuguese wines? I am interested in learning more about them and a forum for these wines may encourage discussion.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex,

If this were a Poll I would have to vote No.

Although these other fortified wines use similar production processes to those used to produce Port they are not Port and therefore don't deserve a separate area on this site. We have an "Other Discussions" area that could be used for these but giving them a forum heading of there own would, in my opinion, give them a credibility that is undeserved.

Bah Humbug :P

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I too have thought about this before and I agree with Derek. "Ports" from other countries can be listed in the Port Forum or the Other Discussion area. They do not need their own. Sorry, :cry:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

OK. I can take a hint. I'll put my tasting notes into the "Other Discussions" heading when I drink my non-Portuguese port.

Mind you, I have yet to find a non-Portuguese "port" that is close to a VP. everything that I have tasted to date is more along the lines of a tawny or colheita.

I guess the closest that I have come is a fortified Californian shiraz, but that was probably more like an Italian recioto or amarone than a VP.

Alex
DavidL

Post by DavidL »

I tried an Aussie so-called-port once. OHMYGAWD!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In one of my early newsletters there is a section devoted to "other" port-style wines. I have had MANY of the top productions from Australia, dozens from CA/WA/VA/MO from the USA (Missouri makes some of the best), and have had most of the greatest examples from South Africa during visits there. I can honestly say that SA has come closest to replicating the real McCoy, but I don't want to lose track of the original gist of this thread.

I would urge folks to put their TNs into the Port Forum regardless of whether you believe these are just imposters or are worthy of posting in that space. IF you really want to post the TN in the "other discussion" Forum, please feel free to do so. However, posting in the Port Forum, will obviously get more visibility for your posting.

I have not added a new Forum category in four months and am VERY reluctant to do so. I listened to your suggestions and DID add the Marketplace and also Douro Wine Forums, both of which we did not have when we launched this site. They have been great additions. I am open minded about adding other Forums, but the rationale must be VERY compelling. Reduction of clutter helps the flow of the Forum.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In rereading this thread, the new FORUM coming by month's end will have a seperate area for the tasting notes of FTLOP members. I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves with all of the features that the new area will comprise, but I did want you to know that we spent a lot of thought and also paid close attention to all of your ideas and suggestions. The majority of improvements are due to you folks being vocal about what you'd like to see.

Thank you!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Hooray! Its been hard work constantly searching the forum for tasting notes of wines people have posted. I do value the opinions and thoughts of other forum members on the wines they have tried and look forward to the new area.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

and look forward to the new area

Me too. Stewart is VERY busy behind the scenes here!