Drinking Notes 2002 Langhorne Creek Verdelho

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

Drinking Notes 2002 Langhorne Creek Verdelho

Post by Ray Barnes »

This is my first attempt at posting any kind of evaluation of wine on the internet, so I ask readers for their forbearance. This table wine, 13.5% alcohol, from South Australia, was a surprisingly excellent introduction to this varietal, and gave me more desire to try a vintage madeira from the same grape. My wife and I thought its initial bouquet was not unlike a German Riesling (Saar in particular), but after a few hours in the bottle I would say its bouquet developed to the point its bouquet was closer to that of typical Gewurztraminer - and that is saying something. Very clean, crisp, dryish finish, excellent length. This turned out to be a delightful table wine for very modest cost - wish I had a case of this. The label suggests this wine would go with salad, white meats and especially seafood. I would suggest this wine has enough acidic backbone that it could be served with almost any entree. If you like Gewurztraminer, this is recommended with enthusiasm. No score given, I do not feel qualified to do that. Excellent value for the modest cost. A friend and I finished this bottle and uncorked a 2004 Domaine Weinbach Pinot Noir. I love this estate's Gewurztraminers and Riesling from its holdings in the Grand Cru Schlossberg, but we agreed, for now at least, that this verdelho was better than the Pinot.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Drinking Notes 2002 Langhorne Creek Verdelho

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ray,
Have no worries, that is an excellant TN and thank you for posting. Glad your first TN post was here with us at :ftlop: and I look forward to many more. Thanks for posting it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ray.

Bravo! Very expressive description of your tasting Verdelho experience! We look forward to your participation here. When you get a chance, please do go to the Port Basics area of our Forum and the first topic is "please introduce yourself." That will give everyone a chance to give you a warm welcome. Besides, we needed another Canadian voice as we only have them from the other coast and interior, but BC rarely shows up here.

Thanks!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Thank you Andy and Roy for your kind comments. I will take Roy's advice and post an introduction as well.

As a postscript, the verdelho might be described as very pale yellow with greenish tint - not unlike a Kabinett from the Middle Mosel.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Ray,

There are many Verdelho grapes out there that are not necessarily the same as what we think of in terms of Madeira's exalted grape. Verdelho is grown in a number of places, including CA and the styles can be all over the map. It is always interesting to compare the various cultivars of a grape variety. Riesling is a good example. There are so many Riesling grapes, just like there are dozens of clonal selections of Pinot Noir, just using two examples.

For other's sake, as I've already mentioned this to you. Abe Schoener at Scholium Project makes a GREAT Verdelho with mind blowing aromatics (not similar in profile to Verdelho from the island though) that is called, Naucratis Lost Slough Vineyards. I love this particular bottling, year in and year out. You can say you heard it here first. :salute: Try and find a bottle, I think you would be quite enthused.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com