1952 Delaforce Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

1952 Delaforce Colheita Port

Post by Ted D »

Delaforce Coheita 1952, Dec 7 2008 -- 93+

My nose was slightly stuffed, hence the "93+" -- it's nose may have been much better than I thought. This DID improve with time, and deserved more than the mere hour from opening to finishing!

Color: rich amber/dark brown

Nose: Brazil nuts, molasses, brown sugar. Maybe a touch of alcohol but it's hard to say. I get unscented baby powder/talc,

On the palate this almost explodes it's sooo intense and looooong. Concentrated essence of roses behind a wall of treacle, molasses like substance, and a spicyness that's hard to describe as I've never encountered it. Almost painful in intensity, but it never quite crosses the line from pleasure. Maybe a hint of candied orange peel with an hour or so of air.

3 Days Later: The empty glass, save for some dried residue, had a fantastic 97 point nose of caramel and charcoal!

93+ points
12/07/08
Any Port in a Storm
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: TN: Delaforce Colheita 1952, 7 Dec 2008

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nice assessment Ted!

This is possibly the greatest Delaforce Colheita I've ever tried. I remember doing so in Gaia in a lineup of a bunch of Ports with 4 great Delaforce Colheitas at the end and this was my favorite. In fact, although i don't always have a great memory, I clearly remember the impression this made on me and it was akin to a great Malvasia Madeira in its sweet unctuosity and length. I only wish you had been able to enjoy this while not so stuffed up.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

Thanks Roy,

I hope to try another bottle when my nose is firing on all cylinders, and maybe even have one in reserve should you ever visit.
Will look later this week -- hopefully another bottle or two is available.
Any Port in a Storm
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks Ted. It's rare to get TN's on these older Delaforce's as i don't see them in the market place very often. Granted I'm not searching them down specificly, but I don't see them listed very often.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com