NFL Divisional weekend

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

NFL Divisional weekend

Post by Ray Barnes »

For me, this weekend, the unofficial quarter-finals, "the great 8", more often than not provides the most excitement of the post-season. At the risk of repeating myself, the Chargers-Colts battle a year ago was the best game of all, which left me having to cheer for both the Chargers and the Pats a week later.

Baltimore at Tennessee
At the end of the regular season I would have picked the Titans without any hesitation, but I think the Ravens are coming on pretty strong and looking to avenge their earlier loss. If the Ravens had a bit more experience on offence, they would be every bit as formidable as during their recent championship year. I think this will be a close game and I really don't have a strong feeling either way. This could go to OT. I will still, reluctantly, take the Titans.

Arizona at Carolina
The Panthers have been playing strong all year, even in their late season OT loss to the Giants. Unless their defense has a miserable day, they should take this one by at least a touchdown. Taking the Panthers.

Philadelphia at New York Giants
While not being a fan of the Eagles, I admit to being touched by the story of Donovan McNabb. While the Giants have not been the same since the Plaxico Burress incident, I think they have enough weapons left, especially with Jacobs back in the line-up, to win a playoff game at home (unlike last year). This could be the game of the weekend. Taking the defending champions.

San Diego at Pittsburgh
After seeing the replay of the Chargers-Colts OT, I feel the only reason why the Chargers won was because the Colts took 3 penalties (after having 6 in the previous 4 quarters). I think Tony Dungy, as a result, will not come back again. I don't envision lightning striking twice for SD, especially in 19F or colder weather. Taking the Steelers.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: NFL Divisional weekend

Post by Glenn E. »

For me, two of these are easy and two are hard.

Easy:

Arizona at Carolina. Arizona is 3-5 on the road, with all 3 wins coming against the pathetic NFC West. Their 5 road losses all occurred on the east coast, and they lost those games by an average of 20 points. Granted, the only close one was against Carolina in week 8, but they were coming off of their bye week while Carolina was heading into theirs. Carolina on the other hand is 8-0 at home where they've won by an average of 15 points. Good luck, Arizona, you're going to need it. Carolina -13.5.

Philadelphia at New York. Sorry, Philly, but your Cinderella story is over. Westbrook's style plays much better in good weather and McNabb tends to play poorly in bad weather. Earth, Wind, and Fire, on the other hand, love the cold. Especially Jacobs. I've never been a fan of Eli Manning, but in this game he's not going to have to do anything other than hand the ball to whatever RB happens to be in the lineup at the time. Philly is a bit unpredictable, but I suspect that unless they're having a fantastic day while the Giants are having a horrible one that this game's outcome is pre-determined. Giants -9.5.

Hard:

Baltimore at Tennessee. I really want to pick Baltimore. Very much. I like Ray Lewis. I like Baltimore's defense. Tennessee seems like it has scraped by for much of the season, despite their record. But I can't do it: Rookie QB. I know, I know, I picked Atlanta last week... but Atlanta's offense had actually been working and c'mon, they were playing Arizona. I have no respect for Arizona. Flacco's not facing Arizona, he's facing a real defense. A real and good defense. And I think that, like last week, the Rookie isn't going to be able to handle the pressure (which is even greater this week than it was last week). I expect it to be a low scoring game, though, and those tend to be unpredictable which worries me a bit. Titans -2.5.

San Diego at Pittsburgh. I'm uncertain about this game not because I think the teams are even, but because I have no idea which teams are going to show up. Pittsburgh is the better tream. If the good teams show up, Pittsburgh wins an exciting game. If the bad teams show up... uh... well I guess I'll still take Pittsburgh because they're playing at home and it's going to be really cold. What worries me is that the bad Pittsburgh is going to show up (because Pittsburgh seems to be good or bad at random) and face the good San Diego (because San Diego seems to be on a moderate roll). If that happens, San Diego could win on a couple of big plays by Darren Sproles. However, they could still lose so overall I have to take the Steelers. Pittsburgh -6.5.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Are you guys asleep at the wheel? :mrgreen:

Didn't you realize that LT has a torn groin muscle and won't be playing against the Steelers?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Roy, please explain what you mean here. Glenn and I appear to have made the same choices and we both took Pittsburgh.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy, did you see what Darren Sproles did last week?

LT is old news. Wouldn't surprise me if the Chargers tried to trade him in the off-season. The Chargers went ahead and traded Michael Turner last year because they knew that they still had Sproles if anything were to happen to LT.

I based my pick on the assumption that LT wouldn't play, and the reality that right now Sproles is actually a better RB.

But we'll see... last week I was perfect! :oops:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ray don't worry, I put the smiley so you'd know i was kidding around, tongue in cheek, so to speak.

I agree with you and Glenn ... Pittsburgh is going to wipe up and then next week to on their way to the Super Bowl. But, as we know, anything can happen and that's why they play the games.

As for today's Balt. vs. Tenn. game, I believe Kerry Collins will show that 14 years in this league and having brought 3 teams deep into the playoffs, his experience will pay dividends over a rookie QB.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So far, the 1st half has been great. I can't stand Baltimore so I am admittedly biased. They have been strong in only giving up 7 points considering the yardage (250 yards of offense so far from TN) and number of first downs they've given up. Then again the D of TN has been fantastic holding Balt to solely 4 first downs. Now if only they can stop yielding turnovers, they'd be well in the lead.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Considering the dominance in yardage and time of possession, if the Titans lose this game, their Head Coach should take his own life, in the most disgusting manner possible.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

It's close, but certainly not for the reasons I was expecting!

But yes, at the rate things are going Tennessee really should win this game. To lose would be horribly embarassing at this point.
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I have to remove my dictum re the Titans coach with their RB Chris Johnson on the sidelines. Things are looking better for the Ravens the longer the game goes - if their D can hold up.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Would I get into trouble for saying these teams are beating the fecal matter out of each other? :beat:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

With all due respect to Ray Lewis and the Ravens defense, Baltimore did not win that game. Tennessee lost it.

12 penalties for 89 yards. 3 turnovers in the red zone. A missed FG that should have been made.

That's not a recipe for success.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

But at the end of the day ... it was THE non-call when time had expired on that key play that allowed Baltimore to kick the winning FG. The Ravens should have been made to punt instead. Absolute robbery ... not that the Titans deserved to win. If you did not know that the game was not fixed, you'd have sworn that TN did their best to throw it. :shock:

Ray Lewis is awesome.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Are you talking about the delay of game that wasn't? Yeah, they were at least a second past the play clock expiring, and while I'm willing to grant the officials some leeway on that particular call, it doesn't take a full second for your eyes to shift from the play clock to the line to see if the ball has been snapped. If the Referee (or is that the Back Judge?) is doing his job right, he's lined up so that the play clock is in the background while he's looking at the line. He shouldn't even have to look from one place to another in order to make that call.

Oh well... next game! I'm much more confident about this one. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I saw that non-call too. It is events like these which make me avoid getting too caught up in this stuff. Too bad for people who were betting real money!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Good grief... deja vu anyone?
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I see the Cardinals are ahead of the Panthers and they are not getting away with missed delay of game calls.

I was going to have a glass of boal but under the circumstances, have opted for some South Okanagan red wine (Canoe Cove 2004, 60% cab sauvignon, 40% merlot), from the Black Sage bench area near Oliver. Not bad, but I would prefer some Quinta do Crasto.

If Arizona wins, perhaps the End Times are truly upon us.

Ray
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Words of Nature Boy Ric Flair:

Before Panthers-Cardinals kick-off: WHOOO!!
Since half-time: WHOA!!!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I drank a bottle of Bunratty Irish Meade during the game, and it was easily the most enjoyable aspect of those 3 hours.

My streak continues! Which does not bode well for the Giants or the Steelers tomorrow.
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I had visions of going 4-0 this weekend and improving my record to 10-3, to improve my chances for a wild card berth in the post-post-season. :mrgreen: So much for that.

If I am not mistaken, the Cardinals have a real shot at hosting the NFC Championship game, which I don't think anyone was expecting would happen after week 17.

I think I should stick to watching pro wrestling - a bit less unrealistic. :wink: