1970 Royal Oporto Vintage Port -- (Real Companhia Velha)

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1970 Royal Oporto Vintage Port -- (Real Companhia Velha)

Post by Andy Velebil »

With some luck and schedule juggling I was able to meet a friend and fellow :ftlop: member for dinner a few days before leaving for the 2009 FTLOP Port Gala, as he had flown in from across the Atlantic for work. I had read from two other :ftlop: members that had this particular VP and liked it so I thought it was a fitting time to try it as I didn't think either one of us had ever had it before. Since I had to work during the day and wouldn't be getting off until just before dinner I had the option of a very long 14 hour decant or about 2 hours decant. Always one to opt for longer, I chose to decant it for 14 hours. A decision that truly paid off later.

What struck me first was the cork was probably in the best shape of any 1970's VP cork I've seen. Coming out in one piece with a cork screw and only some staining on the bottom 1/4 of the cork. The color was still surprisingly dark when I decanted it and although the restuarant was quite dark this had gotten even darker by the time we drank it. As we enjoyed this bottle with dinner and dessert, yes this was the only wine we drank at dinner, I was struck at how this reminded me of a combination of two Vintage Ports...the 1966 Graham's and the 1977 Warre's. It was very delicate and elegant, not at all spirity, and a much more softer full-bodied VP that caressed my mouth. Mixed into that was the unmistakable christmas cake sweetness and thick viscosity from a 1966 Graham's VP. I felt like I was drinking a 50/50 mix of these two very nice VP's, and a good mix at that. Its only short coming was a slightly clipped finish that isn't representative of these two VPs. But that didn't detract at all, and combined with dinner, made it quite easy to enjoy without being an overbearing Port. While I've not had a lot Royal Oporto VP's, I was quite shocked at how well this performed. 91 points.
01/26/09
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: 1970 Royal Oporto (Real Compania Velha) Vintage Port

Post by Derek T. »

Andy,

I suspect I may have been one of those who you knew had enjoyed this wine. I have had it twice in the past year. On the first occassion it was very much as you describe. The second time, only one week ago at the 1970 Horizontal in London, it was a rather weak specimen and not up to the same standard as the first bottle but it had a strange bottle and cork that makes me suspect it was not the official bottling.

I would normally ignore RO VP on a wine list but if I come across this again at the right price I would certainly consider buying a few bottles.

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1970 Royal Oporto (Real Compania Velha) Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek yes you and Tom wrote the TN's that I read and sorry to hear about this last bottle. My bottle was the short squat style, much like what Niepoort used for their 1970 VP. It had a perfectly intaked and embossed wax seal over a metal capsule. The wax had no chips in it and who ever stored it prior to me getting it at auction obviously took very good care of it. As I mentioned even the branded cork was in great shape compared to almost all other corks that old I've seen. While I've not been wow'd by some other RO VP's, this one is I'd buy again if the price was right.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com