Kopke "Roy Hersh blend" Old Tawny Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Kopke "Roy Hersh blend" Old Tawny Port

Post by Glenn E. »

2009 Port Gala
Friday, January 30th, Colheita tasting
Flight 3 - 1966 Porto Rocha Colheita, 1966 Kopke Colheita, 1974 Quinta do Noval Colheita, Mystery Colheita

Porto Kopke "Roy Hersh blend" Old Tawny Port

This was the Mystery Colheita, and I don't recall anyone recognizing it as a blend. My notes indicate that it is a blend of 4 Kopke Colheitas: 50% 1937, 20% 1957, 20% 1967, and 10% 1986. Those numbers came from Andy, though, as Roy was busy at the time. I was also 10 glasses into the evening and not taking particularly clear notes by this point. :drunk:

Bright and clear in the glass, echoing the K66. Another "perfect" example of what a tawny should look like.

Soft but nice nose, which is also bright and crisp.

The flavors also echoed the K66. I recall them being vaguely different, but not in a way that I could express. I actually entertained the notion that Roy might be trying to trick us by serving up a second K66 in the same flight, possibly from a different bottling year.

Tied for WOTF with the 1966 Kopke. These two came within a hair of being my Wine of the Offline, but were narrowly edged out by the 1947 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port on Sunday night.
Glenn Elliott