1983 Warre's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Aaron Nix Gomez

1983 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by Aaron Nix Gomez »

Tasted on February 14th, 2009.

I purchased this bottle in Seattle about 10 years ago for $27.

Immediately after double-decanting, it had an older looking color compared to the 1985 Dow's. There was a woodsy, spirit nose followed by higher-toned red fruit in the mouth and a bit of heat.

Eleven hours later (dinner was late). The lights were dimmed so I didn't get a good impression of the actual color but the core was was darker, black-cherry in the lighting we had, than the 1985 Dow's. There were long, viscous legs. It had a fine, lifted nose with aspects of cardamom that was a pleasure to smell. In the mouth there was a good feel to the brighter/redder fruit. The fruit itself comes across as sweeter but not as round, followed by a bit more agressive heat on the finish. The long aftertaste leaves impressions of dusty herbs.

Aaron
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1983 Warre's

Post by Roy Hersh »

Aaron,

You've nailed the essence of the '83 Warre's. Yes, it is definitely not the youthful vigorous Dow '85 but a very pleasing easy VP today and at 26 drinking at close to peak performance, although I'd say it has another 5 more years to really reach its apex.

Thanks for placing your TN here. Much appreciated!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Aaron Nix Gomez

Re: 1983 Warre's

Post by Aaron Nix Gomez »

Roy,

I obviously have limited VP drinking experience but I agree that it is getting near its peak. No rush to drink. The only other recent 1983 has been 1983 Harvey's (Martinez) that is at its peak. The Warre's didn't strike me as having that much more undeveloped complexity.

Aaron