Surviving the layoffs

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

Surviving the layoffs

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Our company, like many others in the world, is currently undergoing massive restructuring. Thusfar I have survived but it has come with a high cost:

-my manager was walked out last week
-five co-workers on my collective team across the country have been let go (on a team of 18, so ikt is significant)
-twelve people on my floor (of ~50) have been let go
-around 500 across the board have been laid off

The restructuring is not yet done and they are now trying tos huffle those of us that remain into the "new" org structure, which has completely changed from anything we recognize. We'll see in the next two months whether I keep the status of "gainfully employed" or whether things get really bad.

Makes you feel like :wall: sometimes...

Todd

P.S. Hopefully the fact that all this nonsense is almost done with means that I will be seen around here a bit more often! :)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Surviving the layoffs

Post by Andy Velebil »

Todd,
You have been missed around these parts and glad you dropped in to let us know how things are going. I hope all goes well for you at your work and they don't lay you off. The worlds ecomonmy is in shambles, thats for sure. In 18 years of law enforcement I've only seen threats of layoffs of cops from some of the cities around Los Angeles. This year there is a lot, with a couple departments laying off a significant portion of their police officers. I'm luckily in that my city is financially stable at the moment, and I hope it stays that way. Take care and drop in once in a while just to say hi...you're missed here.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Surviving the layoffs

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nothing is safe. Five years ago, who could possibly have imagined that Merrill Lynch the mighty backbone of Wall St. along with a slew of others would go belly up? The enormous Washington Mutual Bank ... no way. Now it looks like GM is on the brink and unless bailed out yet again, they should make the history books.

So enjoy your employment while it lasts Todd. I know you have been working your butt off and staying employed has exacted a steep price there, but the alternative is worse. Take care of your family, first and foremost. There are rough waters out there ... and it is pretty much like that all over the world right now, with very few exceptions.

We look forward to the day when you have more time to participate here again and wish you and your family well!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com