TN: 1997 Ch. Rieussec Sauternes

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

TN: 1997 Ch. Rieussec Sauternes

Post by Roy Hersh »

This will be a "time elapsed" TN over a couple of hours.

I have just removed my 1997 Rieussec (375) from the refrigerator and poured an ounce and a half ... the rest will be consumed when this warms up considerably, but I wanted to get a quick impression while it is still quite cold.

Medium amber in color with a wide golden rim fading to a clear meniscus. Medium weight for now, but I have a feeling this will flesh out when it is 15-20 degrees warmer. Ultra smooth right now.

As I've been drinking Madeira all week, this seems light in acidity, but when I really focus in solely on the acid level, there is plenty there. Right now the nose is a bit tight, but I am coaxing coconut, lychee and white peach from the glass. Flavor wise, it leans more towards the golden raisin and apricot end of the spectrum. Very nice so far, even this chilled. The most impressive component at the moment is the great length. I'll report back later. Yummy stuff.

45 minutes later: (come on ... it was only a half bottle!)
The nose is more expressive and to the other descriptors I'd add the fragrance of walking by a honeysuckle bush in full bloom and also the essence of ripe nectarine.

This has gained a touch more viscosity, but this is not a truly rich, glycerin laden Sauternes like the 1983 Rieussec for example (or '83 de Fargues or Yquem for that matter).

It is more about elegance and textural pleasure. Really voluptuous to roll around the mouth, sexy stuff. The acid backbone is certainly intact and although this is a really delicious youngster right now; if you prefer the aged nuances of Sauternes, this is a keeper for sure.

On the palate it shows more tropical nuances now, although I still get the golden raisin edginess and some of the tartness of dried apricot, there is also a sense of over-ripe pineapple and sweet coconut, not at all toasty.

The persistence of the finish and lingering aftertaste of apricot marmalade is lip-smacking good. I am sitting on the fence between 93 and 94 points.

My daughter took a tiny sip and said, "mmm, I like it better than Port ... what is this stuff?"

There goes her inheritance, I'll ship it all off to auction when she's ready for college.

A couple more ounces left; it is really hard to put the glass down. No way this baby makes it another hour.

Within an hour later:

The Rieussec is gone and it really did not change dramatically. Maybe a little more viscous, but otherwise, the same as the above notes. The aftertaste is really exotic and since it has been awhile without tasting any Sauternes, this was a welcome change for my wife and I. I'd stick with 93/94 points.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
michael miller

Re: TN: 1997 Ch. Rieussec Sauternes

Post by michael miller »

Thanks for the good note. I bought a few bottles of this right after its release. I guess I have forgotten about it. Need to taste soon.

Michael
Michael Miller