Anyone ever try a 1991 Quinta do Noval VP??

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Anyone ever try a 1991 Quinta do Noval VP??

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've never seen a tasting note on this one and I won a single bottle at auction. Anyone ever try it?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Re: Anyone ever try a 1991 Quinta do Noval VP??

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Well I thought I did, but browsing through old notes, I saw that I only tasted the Silval 1991. That one was fully mature back in 2004, and a bit disjointed.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Ronald , by disjointed , do you mean not balanced ?
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I have a couple of cases, but have yet to prise one open - be interesting know what you think of it; there's a lack of recent reportage on this wine.

Tom
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

This may be the one on death row that gets opened for next months virtual tasting.
be interesting know what you think of it; there's a lack of recent reportage on this wine.

Tom
Yeah no kidding. For a split declaration and a major house, you sure don't hear about or even see this one in the market place very often. It was part of a mixed auction lot and was super cheap so I got it just for the sake of expanding my experience with many different Ports I've not had before.
Well I thought I did, but browsing through old notes, I saw that I only tasted the Silval 1991. That one was fully mature back in 2004, and a bit disjointed
Hoping this does better than the Silval, but I'm not getting my hopes up
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

I haven't try Quinta do Noval 1991. But I did try Noval Quinta Roriz 1991 vintage. It wasn't on his best, it did over passed years ago. It was a wine on his way down, that you couldn´t have a good time with it :( . Very dissapointing.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:I haven't try Quinta do Noval 1991. But I did try Noval Quinta Roriz 1991 vintage. It wasn't on his best, it did over passed years ago. It was a wine on his way down, that you couldn´t have a good time with it :( . Very dissapointing.
Yes, had that one as well. Wasn't good indeed.
Luc Gauthier wrote:Ronald , by disjointed , do you mean not balanced ?
In a way. But more that it was falling apart.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:But I did try Noval Quinta Roriz 1991 vintage.
Cant say I've ever heard of that one. Was it a Quinta do Noval/Quinta do Roriz combo they made that year? Or a sub plot of Noval, like the 1983 Quinta do Noval Quinta do Marco?
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

A Roriz '91 VP is news to me too. I did encounter (and drink) a Roriz '88 LBV, which did not exactly set the world on fire, but I'm not sure who was bottling the wine from that quinta at the time.

Tom
Carlos Rodriguez

I don't konw. On the label was written 'Quinta Roriz' as the name, and 'Quinta Noval' as the producer.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I have tried the 91 Noval Nacional once. It was too young but it was great. Lots of depth. Great bouquet and mouth entry. Big finish. One of my very few experiences with Noval Nacional. It was great but the remaing two bottles will be at least 20 years old before I try it again. I wonder if I did not post on this a few years ago when I tried it?
Richard Henderson
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:I don't konw. On the label was written 'Quinta Roriz' as the name, and 'Quinta Noval' as the producer.
Quinta de Roriz is owned by João van Zeller, member of the family who, at that time, owned Noval. So, Noval made it and bottled it as a single quinta. The port was not very good at that time. I guess the rest of the produce of Roriz went into Noval blends.
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

I don't have a note either - but from the 70's through early 90's I avoided Noval as it was punching well below its historical weight.
But of course by 2000 the turnaround was stunning.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan Gardner wrote: But of course by 2000 the turnaround was stunning.
You mean by 1994? :mrgreen: :scholar:
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Alan Gardner wrote:I don't have a note either - but from the 70's through early 90's I avoided Noval as it was punching well below its historical weight.
Do you include 1970 in the 70's? I ask because a Noval 1970 showed up on winebid.com. I've decided not to pursue it given the condition of the bottle, but it made me look for tasting notes. There were some positive ones out there.
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Unfortunately I do. I'd go back to 63 as being 'subpar' for Noval, although the ports between 63 and 70 (inclusive) were still OK compared to their peers - just not what Noval has been before then, and since the early 90's.
The last 'impressive' Noval (before the mid 90's) I had, was the 62 Noval Nacional - I think 63 marked the beginning of the downturn - although the high prices for the 63 Noval suggests that my opinion is in the minority (but I backed it up by selling my remaining 63 Novals - including the Nacional). Even the 66 Novals were weak (for me) - and that's my favourite vintage (as you know) - but I still couldn't bring myself to dispose of those. Still drank them - although I do still have a bottle of the 66 Nacional I'm debating whether to drink or sell.
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Alan Gardner wrote: But of course by 2000 the turnaround was stunning.
You mean by 1994? :mrgreen: :scholar:
I played it safe using 2000 (the Noval 2003 was astonishing when first tasted). I haven't tasted enough of the 94 to be sure of it (I did buy some) - and I passed on the 97 (actually I passed on all 97's - they reminded me of the young 63's).
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Wow, you sold your 63 Nacionals? That is a stunning wine and so much better than it's regular counterpart. Easily one of the best of the '63 vintage and also why it commands so much money.

Easily 1994 marked the turn around at Noval. It was a shame that Cristiano, who started the company back on the right track when he was just 21 years old, wasn't around to see his early hard work come to fruition with him at the helm. But AXA and Christian S. have done an outstanding job since their take over in 1993.
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Andy Velebil wrote:Wow, you sold your 63 Nacionals? That is a stunning wine and so much better than it's regular counterpart. Easily one of the best of the '63 vintage and also why it commands so much money.
I preferred the 62 Nacional to the 63. But (as you know) 63, for me, wasn't the star that many (most?) people consider it. That's probably saved me a few $ over the years!
Carlos Rodriguez

Ronald Wortel wrote:
Carlos Rodriguez wrote:I don't konw. On the label was written 'Quinta Roriz' as the name, and 'Quinta Noval' as the producer.
Quinta de Roriz is owned by João van Zeller, member of the family who, at that time, owned Noval. So, Noval made it and bottled it as a single quinta. The port was not very good at that time. I guess the rest of the produce of Roriz went into Noval blends.
:thanks: Ronald. I didn't know it.
How Noval made and put his name in a wine like this (bad)? Since I tried it I was asking my self this question.