Lance Armstrong and the French..here we go again

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Lance Armstrong and the French..here we go again

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ok, just cause the guy has won "their race" when no other French cyclist has been able to since Bernard Hinault won it in 1985, a whopping 24 years ago! Now the AFLD (French Anti-Doping) is launching a smear campaign against him in the press for a recent out-of-comptition dope test where some unknown drug tester waited alone at Lance's door step for him to return from a training ride, stated he was from doping control Lance and his team director (Johan B.) had never heard of in their lives, and had no verifiable ID with him. The test got done after Johan called the UCI and French authorities to confirm if this guy was legit or not. Not a big deal, things happen and the whole delay was about 20 minutes, during which time Lance took a shower while Johan made the phone calls. Now the French have leaked to the press, at the exact same time as when they notified the UCI of possible violations of doping protocals that may prevent him from riding the Tour this year.

I call BULLS***T!! It's time the French leave it alone and move on for christ sake. I mean how long can they drag this out. Even the President of the UCI (governing body for all Pro Cyclists) has now denounced what the French have done. If this doesn't highlight how corrupt the AFLD is, then I don't know what does. I have zero faith in their ability to objectively carry out any dope test on any rider. I hope WADA or someone else steps in to put them in their place.

Here's part of the UCI President's statement
"The French authorities decided to make up a report on the testing procedure, forward it to the UCI, knowing the UCI has no jurisdiction on the case, and at the same time that report has leaked to the press," said McQuaid as reported by BikeRadar on Friday.

"I would have to question why that is the case.

"Normal proceedings between institutions such as national anti-doping agencies, the international federation and the World anti-doping agency (WADA) are normally done in a professional and confidential way until a decision or sanction has been taken," he continued. "In this case it was leaked to the press and I do find that disturbing."
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Lance Armstrong and the French..here we go again

Post by Glenn E. »

The French cycling authorities are corrupt. Period. It's been obvious to anyone with half a brain for nearly a decade.

UCI needs to de-certify every French lab, testing facility, certification body, and cycling authority. French cycling needs the death penalty.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Amen Glenn...ain't that the truth.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

One need just remember that the whole Tour de France was started by a newspaper looking for something to fill the front page during the slow summer. Now they use it all year.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:One need just remember that the whole Tour de France was started by a newspaper looking for something to fill the front page during the slow summer. Now they use it all year.
LOL, I know. Seems they still have a hard time finding other suitable things to fill it....the 2007 VP's being declared would be my choice :scholar:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote: the 2007 VP's being declared would be my choice :scholar:
:shock: :shock: - don't start another 2007 VP thread :help:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: the 2007 VP's being declared would be my choice :scholar:
:shock: :shock: - don't start another 2007 VP thread :help:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

He'll be banned. He did break the protocol, and they work on Draconian terms.

This is the payback the French have been waiting for. Unfortunate, as Armstrong has done more to promote France than their own tourism board, lol...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:He'll be banned. He did break the protocol, and they work on Draconian terms.

This is the payback the French have been waiting for. Unfortunate, as Armstrong has done more to promote France than their own tourism board, lol...
I'm not so sure. The tester allowed him to take a shower, and it is the tester's responsibility to enforce the protocols. Granted, the athlete is required to know the protocols, but if he asked to take a shower and was granted permission - and it sounds like that's exactly what happened - then it's the tester's responsibility.

It actually sounds like UCI may come down on Lance's side on this one. I think it's possible that they're finally getting sick and tired of this French witch hunt that's been going on for all these years. I sure hope so... someone needs to slap the French "authorities" around and the WADA doesn't have the balls to do it.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:He'll be banned. He did break the protocol, and they work on Draconian terms.

I'm not so sure. The tester allowed him to take a shower, and it is the tester's responsibility to enforce the protocols. Granted, the athlete is required to know the protocols, but if he asked to take a shower and was granted permission - and it sounds like that's exactly what happened - then it's the tester's responsibility.
That is not going to mean anything. Even if the tester gave Armstrong permission, which is a debate on its own, that does not make Armstrong in the clear. If you slipped out of the tester's eyes, that's it. The French doping authority (AFLD I think) are the one's putting the screws to Armstrong, and logic does not rule their decisions. They're biased and have an agenda. WADA is not far behind. It's on the Cyclists Union that are supporting Armstrong.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Seems like the AFLD realized the monumental backlash that would ensue if they pursued their ridiculous case and made the right decision.
Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong will not face disciplinary proceedings from the French anti-doping agency AFLD.

Posting on his Twitter account, Armstrong wrote, "the word from the French agency AFLD on the shower gate incident. Case closed, no penalty, all samples clean. Onward."
Full story hereHERE
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I'd make a joke about the French backing down from a fight, but in this case it was the right thing to do. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:I'd make a joke about the French backing down from a fight, but in this case it was the right thing to do. :lol:
So I won't bring up that phrase groundskeeper Willie used in the Simpsons episode "'Round Springfield" then.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Seems like the AFLD realized the monumental backlash that would ensue if they pursued their ridiculous case and made the right decision.
Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong will not face disciplinary proceedings from the French anti-doping agency AFLD.

Posting on his Twitter account, Armstrong wrote, "the word from the French agency AFLD on the shower gate incident. Case closed, no penalty, all samples clean. Onward."
Full story hereHERE
Wow, missed that article. I was wondering what the outcome would be. I have to say I am glad to read the positive outcome.

Armstrong is clear on this one, but the French are saying he supplied Rebellin & Schumacher with CERA, lol... :drunk: