FADISTA: Mariza

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

FADISTA: Mariza

Post by Roy Hersh »

After following this Portuguese Diva's music for about eight years and through her first four albums, I am finally going to have an opportunity to see her live as she makes her very first PNW (Pacific NW) debut on Friday night. It has been a number of years since I have seen any live music that did not include my daughter, so this will be a grand departure. My wife is not a Fado fan and never understood why I listen to it for hours on end, but c'est la vie. She will have to grin and bear it in just 48 hours. :evil:

Has anyone else seen Mariza on this current tour or on previous ones? How are her live performances? Last but not least. I have yet to purchase "Terra" and am wondering if anyone has given it a run through, as of yet?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: FADISTA: Mariza

Post by Eric Menchen »

How was the concert Roy? Where the TN (tympanic note)? She's in concert close by me this Wednesday.
-Eric
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

This was so unbelievable to me, like my first lunch at The Factory House, 15 years ago. If that sounds crazy, you have to understand how much time I spend listening to the ballads of Fado. Most other music, even distracts me when I am writing at night. Since I have no clue about the words, Fado has become a mainstay and for eight years now, Mariza the young heir apparent. I still love the classics but it is nice to have a new generation to listen to as well. What an amazing performance she put on, although at times over the top.

We were in the 2nd row, just 5 feet from the stage, but off to one side and she was in front of us a lot. She shook every one of the 35 peoples hands who were in the first row. I tried to stick my hand in there too, but to no avail. I felt like a teenager. Many dozens, possibly hundreds of people of Portuguese decent, if not directly from Portugal were there. The number of Portuguese flags and the amount of people speaking Portuguese really astounded me, as I had no idea there were that many people here from there. I do know there are a lot of people from Brazil, but never knew of the good number of Portuguese here.

Best concert I have been to in a decade!!!! My head is still spinning from her gorgeous and powerful voice. Dorene admitted she liked it, but for me it was an emotional experience. Mariza talked to the audience for close to 1/2 hour throughout the whole 2.5 hour show and said that she was surprised that she could sell out the big venue in Seattle, a place she had never been before. Lots of very nice stories, but to me, honestly, they sounded very rehearsed (like she probably says the same thing everywhere overseas) and not very spontaneous which was my only negative comment. The funniest thing she said all night:

"So, how many of you speak Portuguese? Ahhhh. Ok, how many are from Portugal? Brazil? Other countries that speak Portuguese?" (she watched how many people raised their hands). She then said, "You know what is really funny? We have so many Americans here who must love my music and sit listening to me in concert ... and they really seem to be enjoying tonight ... but they don't understand a single word I am singing! Right!? Right?!"

The whole audience was hysterical laughing for two minutes!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

So as to not spoil the show for those that still might see it, I'll have to e-mail Roy to compare notes.

But I will say she puts on an incredibly impressive performance. She can belt them out, and the rest of the musicians were impressive as well. Vicky's solo made me feel like I was at a rock concert in the 80s, and his percussion work and her vocals interspersed made Barco Negro perhaps my SOTN.

I didn't really feel she was "over the top," but I think I know what you're talking about Roy. She is certainly a performer, and in many songs I thought she overacted like a stage performer in a play, exaggerating gestures and expressions so that the people in the back of the house can see them. But you were in the second row, and I in the third, so from that close, perhaps overacting or over the top. She seems like she really enjoys performing, and yet she sings so many melancholy songs. I was wondering if that is difficult for her. But then again, I already said she is a performer, so probably not an issue.

I'll second Roy's endorsement. If she heads your way, consider seeing her. For less than the cost of a good bottle of VP you can have a great evening.

-Eric
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric,

Your interpretation was spot on. Exactly what I meant, in a thespian or operatic context. Glad you like it too. That drum solo was actually quite amusing given the time given to it. I joked with my wife on the way home that I could have sworn for a moment I was at a Dead concert. :wink:
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Sounds like an amazing night! I often wondered what a Fado concert would be like in a large venuse, as one of the charms of the art form is the emotional, intimate connection one makes with the singer. Looks like that connection was not lost... although sitting in the second row probably helped :D

Jealous,
Marco
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I was going to e-mail Roy about this, but he then went to Portugal and I was sidetracked by some other things. Now that the N.American tour for this year is over, I'll just post here.

The encores were excellent, and I suspect well planned:
1st: Mariza asked the audience where they were from (which I think she did during the main part of the concert as well) and when enough people shouted Spanish-speaking countries, she offered up a song in Spanish. It was good.
2nd: She performed Roy Orbison's "Crying" and did a great job with this one. On her current album she has a token song in English, and it doesn't really impress me. This one, however, suits her and the Fado genre well.
3rd: I don't remember the title, but this was done unplugged. Unlike the MTV-unplugged where they don't use electrical based instruments, here we're talking totally unplugged. Mariza, a Portuguese guitarist, a classical guitarist, and no amplifiers. She had to work to belt this one out, but was up to the task. It also was impressive.

She performed and I enjoyed enough songs from her new album such that I bought it, not for $20 at the concert, but later as a digital download from Amazon for $8. Listening to the whole album, I'm happy with my purchase. I do prefer Fado em mim more, but Terra is growing on me.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it Eric and I trust that your wife did as well. The three-part "staged" encores ... were identical to what took place here and I am confident to say, in ever city she played on this tour in the USA. I liked the traditional "unplugged" the best of the 3 part finale. That kitschy asking the crowd where they were from, was almost comical, but plays well to the crowd and I wonder how much her own words vary at all from show to show. It seems quite "rehearsed." But other than that critical point, the show is very solid and she is an extremely talented young woman.