2009 Giro D'Italia thread

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 2009 Giro D'Italia thread

Post by Glenn E. »

Astana is still looking really strong to me. They currently have 8 riders in the top 44, including 3 of the top 12. Granted, the guys outside the top 12 probably aren't in contention for anything, but just the fact that they're all up that high means they're riding well.

I wish there were more coverage on TV over here. :(
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Still Levi's race to lose.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sorry for lack of updates, I've been working massive amounts of overtime at the moment. Out of 19 days, I only had one day off, last sunday and i still got another 8 days to go :(

The TT yesterday was great. I mean how often do you see a ITT that takes an hour and a half! That's a really long time to out there by yourself and staying focused gets real hard.

It's still open amoung the top guys. With some climbs still left to go, anyone could have a bad day and lose those few precious seconds. It will be quite interesting to watch. Levi certainly has his eye on the prize and is capable of winning it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Chris Horner's injury doesn't help Astana, but they still seem to be in a really strong position to me. Menchov seems like he's in a pretty good position, too, but DiLuca's also still hanging around and he won it in 2007.

It's going to be interesting!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Time for Leipheimer to make his move, assuming he has it in him. Tomorrow's stage is arguably the hardest of the Giro and of the top contenders only Leipheimer has guys who can support him through a 7-hour, climb filled stage.

It's now or never, Levi. If you have an ace in the hole, play it tomorrow.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:Time for Leipheimer to make his move, assuming he has it in him. Tomorrow's stage is arguably the hardest of the Giro and of the top contenders only Leipheimer has guys who can support him through a 7-hour, climb filled stage.

It's now or never, Levi. If you have an ace in the hole, play it tomorrow.
Everyone in Giro is thinking the same thing. Today should be a real test of will.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Well it appears that some of it was bad luck, but even the flat tire (or whatever it actually was) can't explain Leipheimer's inability to keep pace. Looks like he's out of the running to me, leaving only Menchov and di Luca in contention.

Sounds like it was a pretty awesome stage, though, with lots of attacks and counter-attacks!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

yeah I'd say Levi is totally out of contention unless the five in front of him crash out. It looks like the last remaining days will be interesting to watch unfold with a couple riders that could take over the lead. Sastre could possibly move up to 2nd or even first if he rides like that again.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Exciting finish, what with Menchov crashing during the final time trial. Congratulations to him on a fine win!
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:Exciting finish, what with Menchov crashing during the final time trial. Congratulations to him on a fine win!
Fine win indeed! Only if Ullrich could've got back on the bike so fast. Menchov is the real deal and does it with little drama. He deserves this win. Can't wait for TdF now.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Exciting finish, what with Menchov crashing during the final time trial. Congratulations to him on a fine win!
Fine win indeed! Only if Ullrich could've got back on the bike so fast. Menchov is the real deal and does it with little drama. He deserves this win. Can't wait for TdF now.
Yes, a sign of a true champion. He got back up and still managed to finish ahead...a great job indeed.

The TdF should be quite interesting indeed. I saw Astana got some cash to repay the UCI guarantee, so they appear to be headed to the Tour.