Rocha The Glorious 50th Anniversary Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Rocha The Glorious 50th Anniversary Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

Porto Rocha "The Glorious 50th" Anniversary Port - The blend contains Colheitas from 1937, 1957, plus 30 Year and 10 Year Old Tawnies. Ultimately, this is a Tawny which exhibits a maple syrup-burnt orange appearance that fades to a yellow edge; while providing vibrant aromas of golden raisins, toasted almonds, dates and mahogany that play off of one another. Light-medium bodied, seductively smooth with a harmonious, elegant presence on the palate that is dry in style with well defined acidity, a good dose of glycerin and concentration. This Tawny Port delivers a complex core of flavor with pralines, melted toffee, citrus peel and a lip-smacking, persistent aftertaste which is as welcome as a warm embrace. A liquid tribute to those looking for the perfect celebratory drink whether for their 50th birthday or 50th anniversary. This Rocha will hold for weeks once opened. 93 points
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,

Is this being imported to the US yet? If so, do you know where to get a bottle at? I would love to try this, even though I still got a number of years before the big 50!

Thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy it is already available in CA from what I have learned.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gustavo Devesas

Post by Gustavo Devesas »

Many thanks for the TN Roy.
I´m looking forward to have a bottle of that to taste!
Thank you again! :D
Together we fall, united we stand.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks, I will have to try and track a bottle down.

I tried to find a store that had it, but did not. Does anyone know who a merchant that has this :?:
Last edited by Andy Velebil on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gustavo Devesas

Just one small question.
This brand Rocha,Roy is that Port that you said to me that it's distributed by the other American that it's ,like you, in the BrotherHood?

Why did I never heard or read anything here about this Rocha Porto,is it a secondary brand from any big company?
Do you know somebody that sells this here in Portugal?

Sorry,for the number of questions but me and Jean Phillipe are curious about it!

Many thanks!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It comes from the Barros Family of Ports, but is bottled by Hutcheson, Feuerheerd & Associados - Vinhos, S.A. It is made specifically for the US marketplace and I don't think it will be marketed anywhere else in the world. Yes, you are correct Gustavo, in your assumption that it was the other Confrade I mentioned.

In a savvy if not bold marketing move, Todd Cromwell looked at the demographics and aging curve of the "baby boomers" here in the USA (that stemmed from the post-WWII return of soldiers and the "aftermath" :D ) and discovered that for the next decade or thereabouts, 7,000 Americans will turn 50 year old, every single day. That was just one of his inspirations to create this wine.
Gustavo Devesas

Thank you Roy!

It's bad,we want to taste that wine,now even more with your tasting notes!

Many thanks!
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I was fortunate enough to share a glass of this with my wife, courtesy of Roy.

I'm a big fan of Rocha's tawny ports and Roy's note hits it spot on. I always get caramel and nuts with Rocha tawny's. To me the most profound thing about this wine was the middle palate: full and round with layer upon layer of complex flavors reluctantly giving way to a long, long, lingering finish.

Here's to another fantastic Rocha!

Mmmm... :)