Stump speech or lame duck?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Stump speech or lame duck?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Re: Stump speech or lame duck?

Post by Brian C. »

I think this is likely the end of her involvement in politics. She did not sound confident at all, but rather incoherent. Also consider that this bombshell came at the beginning of a holiday weekend, and during the wall to wall coverage of Michael Jackson's death, to minimize the coverage as much as possible.

A potential cause for her resignation:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... mainpromo2

If there's any truth to that, she's done.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Brian,

I think you are underestimating Sarah's level of ambition and confidence. Unless there is an underlying serious scandal, which others allude to in the news ... without a shred of evidence ... I think that we may likely see her spend the time writing the book for which she just received a $7 million advance and at the same time, travel around the USA and other countries, becoming more popular than ever. Don't underestimate her for a second. Of course, it is also likely that she should could not only start campaigning early "unofficially" of course, but appear as a Fox News analyst and get a national stage that way. Out of office, she is a free agent and it will be intriguing to follow her. Last week's bashing by the McCain camp, was pretty disturbing at this point in time.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I certainly don't underestimate her confidence and ambition, but they would be no match for a federal indictment, if that's what's really going to eventually happen. Also, Andrea Mitchell claims that sources are telling her that she's definitely not going to run in 2012. Federal charges would make her life difficult, and I don't see how her staunchest backers would be able to successfully spin this as their Don Siegelman moment. It's just hard to see this resignation as a positive for her. She did not sound like someone who was looking forward to running in four years, or raking in big bucks in private life. Hillary dealt with plenty of charges, and she never quit anything. It's hard to see that same kind of steely determination at work in this resignation.

But yes, she does have a core of backers, and Murdoch and Scaife will be more than happy to open up their pocketbooks for her. In the financial sense, she will not be dead. There will always be money out there for her, and her legal fees will be easily overcome.

Edit: The FBI is denying that they are investigating her.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

http://news.aol.com/article/sarah-palin ... n%2F555657

So Brian, does this help or hurt Sarah?
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

It's hard to say. The idea of quitting in the middle of a term is strange in and of itself, especially given her incoherent speech. There are a number of possibilities out there for this decision. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

What do you make of it all? What would be the reason for the incoherence of her speech?
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Brian, I agree with the issues that you are bringing up. Let's assume there is no scandal. She could be labeled as a quitter for a long time. It could be possible, but difficult for her to overcome that. I know in my business that if you stepped down like that you'd would likely never be allowed to have any major responsibility in the future... and in fact would be at the top of the list for laying off.

And yes, the incoherent speech... I always thought she was semi-incoherent. Even Karl Rove doesn't get it! :roll:
My two cents
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I know in my business that if you stepped down like that you'd would likely never be allowed to have any major responsibility in the future
But look at the types of people who have been her greatest supporters around the USA. Do you think they will even care about, no less remember her quitting? Let's just say that she winds up in a seat opposite Sean Hannity brought to you by Fox, allowing her to be brought in live from Wasilla. She'd solidify the "core" of the party ... all 15% that remains.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Roy Hersh wrote:But look at the types of people who have been her greatest supporters around the USA. Do you think they will even care about, no less remember her quitting? Let's just say that she winds up in a seat opposite Sean Hannity brought to you by Fox, allowing her to be brought in live from Wasilla. She'd solidify the "core" of the party ... all 15% that remains.
Nope, that 15% won't. However anyone campaigning against her will bring this up. Lack of experience, quit during rough times (and quit with only a few weeks notice). She should have just finished the job - or should I say - waited until the end of the basketball game before she walked off the court. :roll: If she becomes a commentator (which I would not be surprised), she'll have a great time, make a bunch of money, but will the majority of American's vote for her? I have a hard time seeing that.

Anyway, the Republican's can do much better than her. They do have something to say and an important role to play. However, they are certainly falling on their swords as of late. It's probably going to take more losses and disappointments for them to realize that a complete reboot of the party is necessary.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I think you are underestimating Sarah's level of ambition and confidence. Unless there is an underlying serious scandal, which others allude to in the news ... without a shred of evidence ... I think that we may likely see her spend the time writing the book for which she just received a $7 million advance and at the same time, travel around the USA and other countries, becoming more popular than ever. Don't underestimate her for a second. Of course, it is also likely that she should could not only start campaigning early "unofficially" of course, but appear as a Fox News analyst and get a national stage that way. Out of office, she is a free agent and it will be intriguing to follow her.
Depends how much political capital she's generated the last year. Nixon did this a couple years prior to the 1968 election. She might be testing the waters. Remember elections now are all about raising money. If she can quietly see how much money is there for her, it would be to her benefit.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The elections gave her a bad taste. The media was too invasive personally and the GOP had her compromise her opinions and insight. It is odd to jump ship as Governor, but lot’s of odd stuff happens in politics.

Her quitting Governor will hurt her no matter how popular she’ll be for the next election. Everyone bashes a quitter and flip flopper. Her family life will come into question again, as well as all corruption BS she is going through now.

She should make what ever she can from speeches and books and just enjoy her family and Alaska’s beauty. Leave politics to the politicians..
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Her quitting Governor will hurt her no matter how popular she’ll be for the next election. Everyone bashes a quitter and flip flopper. Her family life will come into question again, as well as all corruption BS she is going through now.

She should make what ever she can from speeches and books and just enjoy her family and Alaska’s beauty. Leave politics to the politicians.
Agreed. She seemed like a fish out of water the entire time during the campaign... and now this. I think she's done.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

From readin the Palin speech, it did not read all that badly although maybe lacking cohesiveness.

Last night at the gym, I was watching TV while on the bicycle and got to see her deliver the speech on tape. I was amazed at one point how she contradicted herself, talking very negatively about those that are quitters, right after saying she was quitting and specifically using that term. Pretty wild and if I was the head of the DNC, I'd save that magic moment for when she decides to run. I will be pretty surprised if she does not at least take a shot at doing so. Rush L. ran to her defense immediately and said, "she is still a viable candidate for 2012." Strange bedfellows those two.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

A very interesting debate - especially for someone like me who has no particular allegance to any US political party or individual.

Firstly, let me say that my impression of the UK population's view of Palin during the Presidential election was that she was a laughing stock. It appeared to be a last throw of the dice from the Republicans to appoint her to capture the female and true-blue American vote. It didn't come across as having any credibility whatsoever, and neither did Sarah. That said, the UK press were certainly caught in the same frenzie as everywhere else in the world at the prospect of the first black President being elected so Sarah probably did not recieve fair representation here.

However, there is another possible explanation to her recent resignation that strikes me after reading her speech. Regardless of how unpalatable and idiotic it may seem - she might actually be telling the truth :shock: :help:

My reading of her words goes something like this:

1. I think I was doing a good job as Governor of Alaska
2. I got sucked into a huge storm that changed my life, my family and those around me
3. I keep being accused of being a criminal, which I'm not
4. My kids are being ridiculed in the street because of me
5. I'm not going to do this again because it's not what I want for me or my kids
6. I have a core value that says Government should be effective and cheap
7. I am now a lame duck
8. I'm off - bye :hello:

I think she may actually have done the honourabe thing. If that ends up with her having a career as a sports comentator that would be fine with me. If she goes off and stands for public office in another place for another reason then she is a quitter and a liar. But I don't think she will do that.

Derek
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Derek T. wrote:I think she may actually have done the honourabe thing. If that ends up with her having a career as a sports comentator that would be fine with me. If she goes off and stands for public office in another place for another reason then she is a quitter and a liar. But I don't think she will do that.
I am reminded of the sports coaches that amuse me when they quit their jobs "to spend more time with the family," and then take a new job the following year. Are you doing this because you got sick of your family, and now want to spend less time with them?
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Eric Menchen wrote:I am reminded of the sports coaches that amuse me when they quit their jobs "to spend more time with the family," and then take a new job the following year. Are you doing this because you got sick of your family, and now want to spend less time with them?
That's why we have jobs. It was probably a contributing factor to the Viking expeditions.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Gary Banker wrote: That's why we have jobs. It was probably a contributing factor to the Viking expeditions.
It's also why you guys ended up being American :wink:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It is also why we go to Portugal to drink Port. :mrgreen:

Sarah Palin is going to be out there stumping and seeing if she can realistically raise enough money and build up a war chest with which to run in 2012. If anybody think that is not in her mind daily, they are dreaming.

Will the Republican party want her? Sure, if they believe she has a real chance to win.

Will citizens want her? I think she speaks to a significant but small core of the far right third of the Republican party. She says she wants to be more centrist and involve people from both parties in "her process." If she can do that, she'd have more of the pie on her side.

Many people love her and would vote for her tomorrow to be the next President of the USA.

Many people think she's a buffoon and want her to run because they think she would be very easy to beat (kind of like the Republican's felt about Hillary). To them Dem's, I'd say ... be very careful what you wish for ... in our two party system.

To think she's quit to get AWAY from the limelight ... is very naive. Even though she may have been a year ago ... regardless of her smarts or lack thereof ... she is no longer naive! Heck, she even knows which direction Russia is nowadays.