Danilo Di Luca Tests Positive for EPO

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Danilo Di Luca Tests Positive for EPO

Post by Moses Botbol »

Oh no... Killer may have "killed" his cycling career.

I am skeptical of any positive result from a French lab :wall:

From Velonews:

Danilo Di Luca tested positive for EPO during the Tour of Italy, in which he placed second, the UCI said Wednesday.

The 33-year-old LPR team leader, who is not competing in the Tour de
France, won two stages of the Giro and wore the leader's pink jersey for eight
days. He finished second overall 41 seconds behind Rabobank's Denis Menchov.

Di Luca was due to take part in the Brixia Tour in Italy on Thursday and had been targeting the world championships at the end of September in Mendrisio, Switzerland.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Danilo Di Luca Tests Positive for EPO

Post by Andy Velebil »

From accounts, he has been one of the riders the UCI has been closely tracking as a result of his biological passport. So it would seem as though the UCI already was aware of some variances in his test results. Quite sad but I am glad the sport is going after some of these guys. The only way to slow it down is to target the big guys first and make an example of them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Danilo Di Luca Tests Positive for EPO

Post by Moses Botbol »

Di Luca has been under suspicion for some time. If it is true, too bad. I wish the testing facilities were more reputable and they wouldn't use excuses like "even if we made a mistake with the sample, the results would still be the same" like they did with Landis. As much as doping has to stop, the riders need due process and fairness. What happen Pettachi was wrong. Now they want to give Hamilton a life time ban after he already accepted a ban? WTF!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars