new record temp

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

new record temp

Post by Glenn E. »

Seattle hit 103 degrees today at the official recording station at Sea-Tac airport. The previous record of 100 degrees was set on July 20, 1994. The average temperature for July 29 is 77 degrees... so we're 26 degrees above average today.

And as I look out my window right now, there are thunderclouds on the horizon. Only in Seattle! [help.gif]

Luckily my bedroom only hit 97, and should be back down to a more manageable temp by 10 or 11 pm. I've been offline all afternoon, though, because the computer room hit 109. [kez_11.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: new record temp

Post by Roy Hersh »

And I held a Port tasting this morning for 3 from the trade and 12 Sommeliers from amongst the best restaurants in Seattle. Of course it was held in a non-airconditioned building (restaurant) that was blazing hot by the time we finished off the 10 Ports.

Quite a lineup, but we would have been happy if it had been 20 degrees cooler!

Tomorrow is supposed to be over 100 degrees again and I have another Port celebration planned, with 8 locals and some incredible Ports.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Amazingly, on the other end of the spectrum, Chicago did not get above 90 degrees this July. That doesn't happen very often. Winter should be interesting, anyway.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

It's still 91 in the bedroom at 9:45... it's going to be a long night... [beg.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Is AC common in homes in your area?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Yesterday the high in Longmont, CO was 69 F, today the forecast is for 71; and it has been raining all week. Can we have our weather back Seattle?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Is AC common in homes in your area?
Not at all - in fact it's rather uncommon. 95% of the time it's just not necessary at all, so most homes don't have it. Some people have a window box-style unit in one room, but even that's not all that common.

When you get right down to it, there are only 5-10 days that are uncomfortably warm every year.

Then again... overnight low in my bedroom last night was 78 and it was back up to 85 before 8:00 am this morning. [help.gif] And silly me, I went for a 5k run at 6:30 to try to avoid the heat! [dash1.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I just got back from Yosemite and in Yosemite Valley the temps. were in the low 90's although it felt about 10 degrees warmer. In fact, a person in my party suffered heat stroke after we had gone on a short hike. Yikes!!

Marc
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So today the temps dropped 10 degrees thank god ... maybe even more.

I am psyched to be heading to Colorado for the next 9 days. It has been rainy and in the 70 degree range and I believed it was going to be just like home. However, my brother burst my bubble and told me it was going to be in the 90s in the coming days. I want to stay home now. [foilhat.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com