What is your least favorite wine grape or type?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What is your least favorite wine grape or type?

Post by Roy Hersh »

We have done the "favorite" now it is to find which grape or wine type you really find as a turn off, and why.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Re: What is your least favorite wine grape or type?

Post by Brian C. »

Merlot, cab, sauv blanc, and chardonnay from California.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

95% of Syrah/Shiraz I don't like.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

manishevitz
[rotfl.gif]
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Stewart T. wrote:manishevitz
[rotfl.gif]
Wow, LOL

I'd have to say most Chardonnay. Simply because most are over oaked butter bombs that I can't stand. Granted there are some that aren't and which I enjoy, but they are few and far between.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Chardonnay here too. I don't know if this is because I perceived it to be trendy years ago, and prefer to go against the grain, or because I really just don't enjoy drinking it. And I like oak, but in my reds please.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Zinfandel, Pinot Grigio, Malbec...

So many garbage wines are made from these grapes that it is a turn off to even hear a wine has them.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Stewart T. wrote:manishevitz
[rotfl.gif]
You mean Concord Grape or Alderberry?
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Zinfandel, Pinot Grigio, Malbec...

So many garbage wines are made from these grapes that it is a turn off to even hear a wine has them.
I always call Pinot Grigio the most boring grape. I don't love it, and I don't hate it. It just does nothing.

I've had good and bad Malbec. I think if they keep the ABV down, it can be pretty good. For me, it has always been one of the hardest wines to pair with food.

I think Zin has become too Californicated, for lack of a better description. I've enjoyed some Italian Primitivos, so I know it's not the grape.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I should re-phrase that I do not like the grape, but rather the average wine that is made from them. I am sure there are example wines made from each of my choices, but my decisions were based on the most general of terms.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'd have to say most Chardonnay. Simply because most are over oaked butter bombs that I can't stand. Granted there are some that aren't and which I enjoy, but they are few and far between.
Andy,

Although California does have a few well known oak-averse winemakers for Chardonnay, like you said, they are few and far between. I would strongly suggest you try the William Fevre versions of Chablis (vs. Raveneau and Duvissat which are GREAT producers but also like oak) whereas Fevre let's the fruit speak for itself and does a really fine job. Seek out 2000, 2002, 2004 as really top vintages for super and affordable Chablis. It is quite affordable, with steely minerality and wonderful acidity ... with a chalky, limestone soil that adds great character.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bryan Robinson
Location: San Diego, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Bryan Robinson »

I have lots of least favorite grapes. My #1 least favorite grape is probably Mission, but it's not very common to find it made into wine any more. As for current grape that is widely used: Tempranillo

It doesn't matter where it is from or how much it costs. I've had scores of bad California Tempranillos, and I've bad multitudes of bad Spanish Tempranillos. I've even had a $150 bottle of Tinta de Toro Tempranillo which was bad. Some seem to like it, and it is not for lack of trying on my part, but that is one varietal that just misses me.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:I would strongly suggest you try the William Fevre versions of Chablis (vs. Raveneau and Duvissat which are GREAT producers but also like oak) whereas Fevre let's the fruit speak for itself and does a really fine job.
A local B&M had those at rock bottom prices for a while and I am fan. They have something at every pricepoint that I found to be a good value. Funny, some of the oaky CA Chard. drinkers I know do not like it much. Have one bottle left. [cheers.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Bryan Robinson wrote:As for current grape that is widely used: Tempranillo
Now on this I must disagree. I had one California Tempranillo that was a real eye opener, a good number of Spanish ones, and I think Tempranillo is one of the reasons I like Port so much. Now my experiences are limited, and I do wonder if it is starting to suffer as a fad grape.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:
Andy,

Although California does have a few well known oak-averse winemakers for Chardonnay, like you said, they are few and far between. I would strongly suggest you try the William Fevre versions of Chablis (vs. Raveneau and Duvissat which are GREAT producers but also like oak) whereas Fevre let's the fruit speak for itself and does a really fine job. Seek out 2000, 2002, 2004 as really top vintages for super and affordable Chablis. It is quite affordable, with steely minerality and wonderful acidity ... with a chalky, limestone soil that adds great character.
Thanks. I've just recently bought a bottle of 2002 William Fevre from my brother to try. Let you know how it goes when I pop it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Which vineyard designation?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Which vineyard designation?
Oh heck, now your getting technical with me :lol: let me check....it's a 2002 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Bougros Cote de Bouguerots
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Oh heck, now your getting technical with me :lol: let me check....it's a 2002 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Bougros Cote de Bouguerots
Oh good--none of that Vaudesir or Preuses crap. [shok.gif] (Is this the icon for I have no idea what I'm talking about?)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
Oh good--none of that Vaudesir or Preuses crap. [shok.gif] (Is this the icon for I have no idea what I'm talking about?)
Eric,
No idea...then again, I have no idea what Vaudesir or Preuses is either
Bryan Robinson
Location: San Diego, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Bryan Robinson »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Bryan Robinson wrote:As for current grape that is widely used: Tempranillo
Now on this I must disagree. I had one California Tempranillo that was a real eye opener, a good number of Spanish ones, and I think Tempranillo is one of the reasons I like Port so much. Now my experiences are limited, and I do wonder if it is starting to suffer as a fad grape.
I read the other day that it was now the 4th or 5th most planted grape on the planet, so lots of people must like it. I just don't get it.