What is your least favorite wine grape or type?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What is your least favorite wine grape or type?

Post by Glenn E. »

Bryan Robinson wrote:As for current grape that is widely used: Tempranillo
I regret to inform you that you drink quite a lot of Tempranillo - in Portugal it is known as Tinta Roriz and is one of the more common grapes used to make Port. :evil:
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

For me it's probably Merlot - I just find it really boring.
Bryan Robinson
Location: San Diego, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Bryan Robinson »

Glenn E. wrote:
I regret to inform you that you drink quite a lot of Tempranillo - in Portugal it is known as Tinta Roriz and is one of the more common grapes used to make Port. :evil:
There are probably a lot of port grapes that I wouldn't like as varietals, but I haven't been fortunate enough to to try very many of them on their own. I do make an effort whenever I get the chance.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:No idea...then again, I have no idea what Vaudesir or Preuses is either
Different "flavors" of Domaine William Fèvre Chablis.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:No idea...then again, I have no idea what Vaudesir or Preuses is either
Different "flavors" of Domaine William Fèvre Chablis.
ahh, thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Bryan Robinson wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
There are probably a lot of port grapes that I wouldn't like as varietals, but I haven't been fortunate enough to to try very many of them on their own. I do make an effort whenever I get the chance.
Sometimes I like a grape just fine when it's part of a blend, as opposed to on its own. I had a cheap glass of a Spanish wine (from the Jumilla region) the other day that featured Monastrell, but also had some cab and merlot blended into it. I liked that just fine, but if I drink a 100% cab or merlot, that's another story.
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Bryan Robinson wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:
Now on this I must disagree. I had one California Tempranillo that was a real eye opener, a good number of Spanish ones, and I think Tempranillo is one of the reasons I like Port so much. Now my experiences are limited, and I do wonder if it is starting to suffer as a fad grape.
I read the other day that it was now the 4th or 5th most planted grape on the planet, so lots of people must like it. I just don't get it.
Bryan, you can count me in the number that likes Tempranillo. In fact, I love it! I'd say that it ranks as my second favorite varietal behind Pinot Noir. We all have different palates... :-) Eric, like you, I think that Tinta Roriz is also a big reason as to why I gravitate to Port.