Google

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Marc J.

Google

Post by Marc J. »

I've noticed that when I google fortheloveofport the first item that comes up is some "hotfrog" link and I'm not seeing a real fortheloveofport link at all. Bing brings up the real fortheloveofport link...any ideas of what is causing this?

Marc
Stewart T.

Re: Google

Post by Stewart T. »

Hotfrog is a online business directory that trolls the Internet and business databases for new companies to add to it's directory.

I'll look into why they come up as first for fortheloveofport on google.
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'm guessing that not too many people are googling for "fortheloveofport". One of the things Google uses to determine what things to put at the top of its results is what things other people pick from similar searches. If we all googled "fortheloveofport" and found the correct link and clicked on it, Google would elevate that result in future searches. As it is, we aren't doing this. And there are entities out there that put in queries to Google just to game the system and make their results float to the top. I'm guessing hotfrog is doing some of this.
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Well, looking at the source code for the FTLOP home page, I can see one place that would help: in the [meta name="keywords" content=] section of the web page you should add "ftlop", "FTLOP", "fortheloveofport", "for the love of port" and "For The Love Of Port". The keywords section is one of the main places that search engines use to find matching pages (with safeguard algorithms to help prevent gaming the engine). I would add these keywords fairly early in the list.

If people search on these words and phrases, then they should be in the keywords list. Search engines typically don't agglomerate or combine the keywords, and they don't deal well with differences in capitalization, so you have to be specific. If someone searches on [ fortheloveofport ], having "port" (which you don't have, btw; add it, too) won't help a bit. "Port" is not the same as "port" in a keyword list, and both are different than "buy port".
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Thanks - I have added the additional words to our meta keywords tag. Thanks for that suggestion!
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Update on Google Search Results:

I am now seeing www.fortheloveofport.com as the top result for the google search terms:

"for the love of port"
and
"fortheloveofport"

let me know if anyone else is NOT seeing us at or near the top of results when you google either of those terms.
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Good job, Peter and Stewart! The strategy worked like a charm. :thumbsup:
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

It's not easy to 'game' Google, but honest representation of what you actually are works very well. 'ftolp' gets a top rank, as well.

Those dudes at Google really have it nailed.

(pwmeek gets nearly 10,000 hits, and they're ALL ME!!!)
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)