2007 Rhône wines?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

2007 Rhône wines?

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'm hearing good things about the 2007 Chateauneuf du Pape, and just received an e-mail with a very tempting price for 2007 Château de Beaucastel Coudoulet de Beaucastel. This isn't CdP, but "from just across the motorway from Châteauneuf-du-Pape in the Southern Rhône." I'm generally fans of these. What do others think, in particular about the 2007s?
Moses Botbol

Re: 2007 Rhône wines?

Post by Moses Botbol »

If you can get Beaucastel Coudoulet de Beaucastel for under $25, then it's worth it.
The lowest I paid for Beaucastel Coudoulet de Beaucastel is $19. There are some other good producers in Rhone like Patrick Le Sec who are worth checking out. Actually, I like the Kirkland CdP and I imagine the 2007's will be on the shelf soon.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I haven't taste any 2007 yet, but yes the critics are praising this vintage. I'm normally not a fan of this region. I just went through 12 different producers from the 2006 vintage and really could drink only 2 of the wines. Their biggest problem is the alcohol, like in Port you can feel it but with CD9P you can taste it. This in my opinion is a major flaw and it is mostly why I dislike the thin and dry palate of this wine covered with strong alcoholic taste, it's so out of balance.

If you are a fan, go ahead, 2007 should be nice and Coudoulet norlmally offers great quality ratio for the price.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

My wife and I will be looking for some good QPR CdP wines because we spent part of our 20th Anniversary vacation in the area. I don't really know anything about them, though, so I'm also interested in hearing what people have to say in this thread.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Chapoutier is a big brand for Rhone wines, as is Pegau. So many CdP's can be bretty, one should be careful before spending a lot.

Le Sec is value leader for me. Marty's in Newton, MA had a huge Rhone clearence sale last summer with incredible wines from brands I have never heard of. All of them seemed to be home runs for the price; granted they were 50% off.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Glenn E. wrote:My wife and I will be looking for some good QPR CdP wines because we spent part of our 20th Anniversary vacation in the area. I don't really know anything about them, though, so I'm also interested in hearing what people have to say in this thread.
Domaine Pegau and Vieux Donjon are the ones I find year after years showing great qualities for my palate. If you want to offer yourself a candy, try to find some Henri Bonneau, he is making, with Rayas, the most burgundy like Chateau neuf with exquisite depth and concentration of flavours. Both are expensive yes, but so delicious and perfect for a 20th! Domaine Bois de Boursan is a small property becoming a rising star with a rustic style mixed with modern flavours, I like it, price on this should be soft.

Chapoutier is much better in the northern Rhone managing the Syrah. His Hermitages are among the bests and does aim to control the new oak in his wines compared to others.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frederick Blais wrote:If you want to offer yourself a candy, try to find some Henri Bonneau, he is making, with Rayas, the most burgundy like Chateau neuf with exquisite depth and concentration of flavours.
Oh ya, forgot Henri Bonneau. Very nice indeed!
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Just bought and drank a 2005 Cuvèe Rèservée CdP from Domaine Du Pegau to check it out. It is a LONG way from ready to drink, but after 4-hr decant you could tell that in 5 or 10 years it will be a stunner. I have put a case on order from local wineshop.

Buying new CdP is an investment in the future, generally.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Peter W. Meek wrote:Buying new CdP is an investment in the future, generally.
Yeah, the idea would be to buy some of the 2007 to lay down for our 30th anniversary in 2017.

I'll look around for some Henri Bonneau and Domaine Bois de Boursan... those both sound good!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thanks for all the comments thus far. I put in an order for the Coudoulet de Beaucastel. I'm holding off on the CdP because after doing some comparison shopping on the web, I found the prices from that particular merchant weren't all that great. But I am now armed and ready for when I go to France this fall :-).