1997 Quinta do Tedo Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I found 10 bottles of this at my local QFC, and conveniently they wanted to clear them out prior to a remodel so I picked 'em up for a song (along with 3 x 1977 Barros Colheita 375s and 3 x Quinta da Gaivosa VP 375s).

Color: Dark red with both purple and brick tones
Nose: Tart red fruits that resemble raspberries, some light alcohol, and some fermenting red grapes
Palate: Somewhat simple tart red berries. Plenty of acidity, but the tannins seem a bit light for a '97. A lighter body style, and quite dry for a Port.
Finish: Somewhat bitter, with a lingering aftereffect of the acidity and an herbal or vegetal note that resembles drying straw. Good warmth.

Score: 85 points. A nice sipper, but a different style than what I'm used to in Vintage Port. An absolute steal at $21/bottle.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1997 Quinta do Tedo Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

+48 hours

To me what is most notable on the third night is how little the Port has changed after being in a decanter on the kitchen counter for 2 days. Really the only thing that has changed significantly is the finish, which has mellowed a bit and isn't as bitter as before. Everything else is still true - the nose and palate are primarily tart red berries with a hint of fermenting fruit, it's still dark red in the glass and decanter, the tannins still feel light for a '97, the acidity is still very good, and it's still on the dry side (to me) for a Port.

I'm progressing slowly since it's not really my style, so will post another update in a day or two if there's anything else worth noting.
Glenn Elliott