1943 Hooper Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Errol Kovitch

1943 Hooper Vintage Port

Post by Errol Kovitch »

From a recent cellar purchase for resale. One bottle had a very low fill level mid shoulder, so we opened it. Color was a golden, almost like a 20 yr old Sauternes. Rather disconcerting to see a vintage port poured out of a bottle with no evidence that it was ever purple colored! I have zero experience with tasting any ports older than 70s, but the nose of this Port was quite similar to a 70 Taylor I remember from about 10 years ago, very open and lovely. The taste was lightly sweet, complex, and long. Wonderful balance. No oxidation. A beautiful port, one of the best I have ever had.

The other two bottles are in perfect condition, anyone know what are they worth? Considering the pitiful values of aged Port, I should consider saving these for myself rather than seeing them go for probably not much over $100 each.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 1943 Hooper Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

I've had the '38 and '42 Hoopers, but not the '43. Sounds like you had a great bottle!

Hooper is one of the less well known shippers, so the value will be lower than for an equally old big name. Still, I would guess that the bottles would probably be worth around $200 each.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Have a couple older Hoopers that were fine ports all considered. If the purchase doesn't effect your bottom line, I would hold on to them and drink them. Sounds like you got them for a deal. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Errol,

Wow, cool to see you over here too! Welcome to :ftlop: !

I will be in MI and getting together with Peter from this Forum and Chaad too. Will also hope to hook up with Joel, Jim, Mike and some of the others whilst in MI for some vino and Port merriment around the Christmas holiday time.

I hope you are doing well.

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Errol Kovitch

Post by Errol Kovitch »

Roy, absolutely we have to do that again!! Hopefully we will have some better weather, although the snowstorm last year just added to my memories of that great evening at Joel and Sally's.

My only regret of that evening was that we didn't share enough Port. However, with my recent cellar purchase I have now have a few interesting bottles that would be perfect additions for this coming December. I am already looking forward to getting the gang together again!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Errol,

Let me first welcome you to :ftlop: [welcome.gif]

As for your bottle...I have no idea their exact value, as Hoopers isn't a VP you see much of in older vintages. It's also not a top name like Taylors or Dow's. Given that, you're probably better off to keep them and open them for other Port lovers to try as I don't see you being able to get top dollar for them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com